• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Handheld radio

You looking for a 2meter? Dual Band Tri bander?

For a basic entry level radio the Yaesu VX-150 for 2 Meters is tough to beat or for Dualband the FT-60R

What three bands?

2M/220/440 The Kenwood F6A (gives you full power on 220)

6M/2M/440 The Yaesu VX5/VX7

I highly recommend the FT-60 by Yaesu (but not a tri-bander)

Hello there..... as mentioned before you didn't say single,dual or tri bander.So here is what i have eham
I have other radios i use for mobile and portable but can honestly say my Icom V-8 for hiking,camping and general portable use has never failed me.It has great reviews and is now a close out radio and can be found new at great prices.
I would also like to mention Yaesu has a great selection of HT's Check it out here: Yaesu
Hope this helps bud,73

Thanks folks for the help.Talk to a guy last night and we came up with the Kenwood TH-D7AG which should take care of my needs right now.Thanks again for your help,Lynn

let me know how you like that radio
i have a friend who is thinking of getting that HT for his kenwood 2000

Later

If this is your first radio I would not go with an HT, your limited to much.

Maybe a mobile Kenwood D700 or the Yaesu FT-8800

Even get an all mode FT-857D

Although many like the Yaesu VX7
as many as like it...Hate it..

I would suggest either Icom's T-90A (a killer HT)
or would suggest Kenwood's THF-6A (also a great HT)

Later

HT TO GET-?

Hello my son and I have the VX7rs and they are a great rig,they do all kinds of things even a few games,it covers 4 bands, on 220 Mhz it only does .500mw,but with a good outside ant thats all you my need in a populated area,220 is not very popular ,not many rigs have it.73/GL and have fun.

DE-K8PG Paul CW LIVES :D

keep in mind

although the VX7-R is a decent HT
many find it very hard to use. and can have poor to ok audio

1st times better off with Icom T-90A(my prefrence)
T-90A has 6 meter 2 meter and 70 CM
it has killer audio and is Extremly easy to use

or Kenwood THF6A (i have this as well)
has 2 meter 220 and 70CM bands
can have poor audio but also extremly easy to use

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.