• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Handi Talkie amplifier

parttimehammer

Jun 26, 2011
I have a Wouxun KG UV3D which is limiated to 5 watts. I was talking to someone on the repeaters the other night who said he had a 2A handitalkie which he had amplified to 20A? Wondering if this was done with power, or an antenna amplifier, or how he got the extra punch for his radio..his signal was much clearer than he said mine wa

there are amps out there that has a low power input ...2 to 5 watts in and will put out up to 100 watts or maybe even better depending on the model of amp...it has been a while since I have looked at any 2 meter amps....Mirage makes them if I remember right

Reactions: 1 person
there are amps out there that has a low power input ...2 to 5 watts in and will put out up to 100 watts or maybe even better depending on the model of amp...it has been a while since I have looked at any 2 meter amps....Mirage makes them if I remember right

That looks along the lines of what I am looking for. How the heck do they connect to my radio though? I assume I could no longer use it as a handi talkie?

You wont get 20 watts out of a HT within itself,that thing would melt in your hand,the one I have gets pretty warm after just a few minutes of talking....the only way you would get 20+ watts from a handheld would be to add an amp and a mobile antenna

Many a ham has gone down the HT+amp road, myself included, and just as many hams regret doing so. Put the money into a decent mobile radio and be done with it. The price difference between a mobile radio and an amp is not that much at all, in some cases cheaper depending on what you want. You still need a power supply to run it in the house but you would need it to run the amp in the house as well. The mobile radio will perform much better than an HT as well especially in the RX end of things as they are far less prone to front end overload.My first rig was an Alinco DJ-160 HT. Then came a cobbled up affair consisting of the PA section of a Marconi DT-56 business band mobile radio that I salvaged and wired up in a case with switching etc. Money was tight back then and I had the DT-56 with a fried front end but good PA section so I decided to try it out. It ran 25 watts with the HT as a driver. I ran that for about a year until I bought a Mirage B-108G amp that gave me 55 watts output. By then I was seeing the issues and problems and just plain inconvenience of my setup. I then bought an Icom IC-2000H mobile radio and never looked back at the HT+amp combo again and never will.

I would get a pwr supply and a mbl or if you get a ht amp get a good one,not a klv or any rm italy...mirage or vectronics or older motorola or henry...and your bigest thing is you antenna antenna antenna....its 99% of your radios...73 de JW

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned