• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HANGING A DIPOLE VERTICALLY

Stellasarat

Sep 17, 2013
Thanks to the advice from m42duster n captainkilawatt my inverted V works well. As soon as I strung it the swr was perfect from 1-40. It needed no adjusting. I want to leave it as it does really good for dx-ing and ok for local qsl. Here's my question. I want to purchase another one and string it vertically as I'm sure It will do better for local qsl. When I hang it does it matter which 18 ft end from the center should hang from the tree and which one should be staked to the ground? Does it matter or not? If it does matter. How do I tell which one is the top end and which one gets staked into the ground? If I had to guess I would say I don't matter what end goes up and which one goes down. I just want to do it right the first time.

Thanks to the advice from m42duster n captainkilawatt my inverted V works well. As soon as I strung it the swr was perfect from 1-40. It needed no adjusting. I want to leave it as it does really good for dx-ing and ok for local qsl. Here's my question. I want to purchase another one and string it vertically as I'm sure It will do better for local qsl. When I hang it does it matter which 18 ft end from the center should hang from the tree and which one should be staked to the ground? Does it matter or not? If it does matter. How do I tell which one is the top end and which one gets staked into the ground? If I had to guess I would say I don't matter what end goes up and which one goes down. I just want to do it right the first time.

If you can get this one higher you will appreciate the difference in performance. You might see a little worse match due to raising up a bit, but if the construction is sound...then the little mismatch won't matter much.

If you are using coax, I would place the end of the <>9' foot wire that is hooked to the center conductor of the coax at the top.

I'm a little confused with your words here.
When I hang it does it matter which 18 ft end from the center should hang from the tree and which one should be staked to the ground?

I'm confused too, the total length of that antenna should be about 18 feet, not just half of it. I hear what you're asking though. It doesn't really make any difference wich 'end' goes up, either way will work fine. Something you might want to keep in mind is that if it's at all possible, run that feed line as straight from the antenna as far as possible before letting it parallel any part of the antenna. That keeps stray RF off of that feed line to some extent, just works better.
The SWR will go up slightly when hanging a dipole vertically. Not because of height above ground (although that does play a part in it). Just like that 'bend' in an inverted'V' antenna lowers SWR a little, getting a 'bend' in that vertical antenna will also lower SWR. Think of that like you just swiveled your inverted 'V' antenna 90 degrees, that make sense? And yes, you should hear 'local' stuff better with a vertically oriented antenna, their's is probably vertical too, and polarization does make a difference.
And that brings me to 'buying' antennas. I got a problem with that, I'm too cheap and dipoles are not hard to make at all. You've got an example right there, so why not make your own? It may not look 'pretty' but who cares if it works??
- 'Doc

THANKS

I misspoke. I'm still learning and I did forget the total length is about 18ft and not 36. Thanks I will post my success and if I have any problems I will ask more questions. Thanks to all yall.

It makes no difference because both elements radiate, it's a 1/2WL antenna with symmetrical radiation from both elements.

Why not consider a coax / Cobra / T2LT dipole which is fed at its base, no problem with having to run the feedline at right angles and of simple construction.

Here's Gary, CTX104's version:

My top money saving tip would be to make the top half from any piece of copper wire, save yourself 9ft of coax ;)

T2LT dipole

ADVICIE ON A GOOD WORKING OMNI.

After thinking about it for a while I think I would like to go with maybe an antron 99. This is my situation. I'm trying to stay as undercover as I can. If I go that route I'm gonna install the antenna on a telescopic post. I was looking for the shortest antenna with good performance. I thought the patriot 12 ft would be just right but after reading many reviews of that antenna it's, junk. Too bad 12 ft with the telescoping mast would put the tip of the antenna at my roof level when mast all the way down. So at 18 ft the 99 is what I'm gonna go with. I can't have any radial's. After reading the reviews of the 99 I'm sure it gonna out perform a any vertical strung dipole. IM not allowed to own any antenna and the inverted V has been working ok for local qsl and great for skip. I'm not that much into the skip thing. I really would like to get out about 50 miles. My primary set up is a sonar fs2340 with a no name (Palomar) 500 elite with the 35 amp power supply combo. I use the the power supply to light my external meter. I usually get on air once a week from 12am-1 or 2. Not many locals on at that time. As a matter of fact not many locals even in the day as occasionaly ill listin in the afternoon. There's a few people I speak with about 15-25 miles away. I know that's good for an inverted V dipole. I would love to get that extra 15 and maybe an extra 25 miles. So to 99 or not to 99. Any advice on other antennas would be great. Remember I must not be taller than the99. I know some will say check out one of those other now hot antennas, I forget the name but I know it's about 3ft taller. 3ft may not sound like a lot. The 99 is already taller than I'd like. So any advice on antennas 18ft or less (no radials) low swr low tvi. Price not important.

While an Antron 99 might work well if you live in the countryside, if you are a city dweller or in the 'burbs it might prove to be a real problem maker with neighbors. Much like a Shakespear 'Big Stick' they are potential 'bleed stick' monsters. Bleed onto the the telephone, TV, and baby monitors, etc. They may look stealthy, but are a real disappointment IMO.

As far as how tall an antenna is; that is the direct consequence of the length of freq of the CB band.
Can't do much about that one.

If you are getting DX and local with your inverted V, personally I would stick to that. But if you have cash burning in your pocket and want a better antenna, I would pick a Sirio Gain Master or a Sirio Vector 4000. Both are Top Drawer; the best. The Sirio Gain Master is as stealthy as the Antron 99 and far better in every respect. The Vector 4000 isn't quite so stealthy, but less costly than the Gain Master and every bit as good - if not better.

Last edited:
You know, that 'A99' is a 1/2 wave antenna, so should/would work the same as a vertical dipole. The only significant difference between them is how they're fed. The 'A99' at one end, the dipole in the center.
Something else to think about is that while the 'A99' has no radials, it uses the feed line for the same purpose. That means that the radiated signal is 'closer' to you than if the thing was high in the air. I'm surprised if that -doesn't- account for all that 'bleeding' you hear about.
- 'Doc

I've got a PDF on a 'skeleton sleeve' home brew. I'll see I I can post it, but it's a square plate(1'x1', IIRC). There is a radial at each corner looking up and a center mounted antennae. The specs were for a different freq than 11m, but it seemed like a simple afternoon project. When I googled modeled patterns it looked good. I've never got around to converting the lengths to an 11m antenna but, depending on the lengths it could be made from scrap around the house. And since you have a telescoping tower you can tune it more easily. Worth a google.

W5LZ PLEASE EXSPLAIN

Right now my inverted V hasn't caused any bleeding problems. This may be due to the hours and infrequentcy of my operation. So is what your saying is the hight of the antenna (99) will effect the amount of tvi and that type of interferance? I've read many reviews on the 99. Most say tvi and that type of interferance was minimal. As far as those sirios go. Thay seem like great antennas with excellent reviews but the hight of those are way above the 18 ft mmax I wanna go with. I think I'm gonna go with the vertical dipole for now but please answer my question about the hight of the 99 and it equating to bleedover. When you say bleedover your talking about phones tv's ect ect. Not channel bleedover right? Channel splatter is not a problem as I don't have anyone close enough to splatter and the set up I'm using is actually very clean.

I didn't say that very well, did I? Height above ground/dirt isn't what causes RFI, but how close the RF signal source is to the devices being interfered with certainly does contribute. If that antenna is further away, which can also mean higher, then it's less likely to cause any interference. In the case of the 'A99' and the Imaxx antenna, they both use the feed line/coax as their 'other half', the radials, counterpoise, etc. That means that since that feed line is going to be 'closer' to things than the antenna it's self, it can certainly be a source of the RFI/'bleeding'.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.