• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Harassed for being a ham mobile

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
Anyone else get harassed for having antennas on your vehicle and being targeted as a LEO or other official?

My experience this year (first year) of 2012 has been up and down. From criminals spitting, cursing, confrontation due to my vehicle having antennas and radios.

Iv had thugs pull up to a stop light and ask if im a cop, i just smile and not respond and drive off only to be cut off.

Iv had crack heads try to "jump" me only to there surprise i take them down to the ground.
The list goes on and on....

Ya know im a real respectively person, i dont blast shitty music with all my windows down, i always say please and thank you.

It just sickens me that some people have serious issues.

If your in that rough of an area to be having that many issues I'm surprised your not having your antennas robbed off the car. Over here it's not so bad with anti social behavior but the general public will rob anything that's not nailed down.
Magmount antennas are a fashion accessory for young drivers here and it's common to see cars with magmounts fitted and 2 inches of coax stub sticking out of the base.

If your in that rough of an area to be having that many issues I'm surprised your not having your antennas robbed off the car. Over here it's not so bad with anti social behavior but the general public will rob anything that's not nailed down.
Magmount antennas are a fashion accessory for young drivers here and it's common to see cars with magmounts fitted and 2 inches of coax stub sticking out of the base.

No ones stolen from my vehicle yet. Keep in mind i have a glock on my persons 12hr a day.

LEO

I made that mistake one time by taking one of those old Eighties style Radio Shack fm wireless lapel mics that can transmit to fm stereos into a rough bar and showing it off to my friends. I was missing an antenna on my truck when I came out. . Good thing everyone had to check their weapons at the bar!:eek:

I made that mistake one time by taking one of those old Eighties style Radio Shack fm wireless lapel mics that can transmit to fm stereos into a rough bar and showing it off to my friends. I was missing an antenna on my truck when I came out. . Good thing everyone had to check their weapons at the bar!:eek:

You mean a "Mr. Microphone"?

Must be some more-stupid-than-normal thugs if they don't realize the Po-po are using digital encrypted radios that have an antenna the size of a roll of quarters. Or maybe that's just in Fort Worth/Dallas?

I had somebody ask me the other day if I could talk to Mars or Jupiter when they saw my Predator 10-K on my truck. I smiled and said "both". :laugh: Most others think I am a storm chaser. :blink:

RT307

Sounds like either you live in a really rough lawless neighborhood or you are exaggerating a little. I have had lots of people assume I was a LEO and then proceeded to act in the opposite manner to which you describe. Apparently a trunk mounted CA2x4SR dual band antenna (Icom 2m rig mounted IN the dash) and an RCI-2950 ON the dash with all it's panel lights lit up looks like a radar set to the uninformed speeders that get a quick glimpse as they whiz by only to brake and pull in front while slowing back to the legal limit staring in the rear view mirror. :blink: I can't count how many times that happened even in broad daylight. Nowadays my 2012 Tundra Crew Max is not nearly so convincing. :laugh:

I have been asked many times if I was a cop,I just smile and tell them I am a ham.....

I do get the occasional question if I have talked to little green men,my reply is no but I have contacted the international space station a couple of times,that tends to really get them curious ;)

Not over exaggerating at all. It seems the crime ridden people come and go. 99% i will say im a ham op which is fine. There is a lot of folks here that are just so full of hate there ignorance shows. My neighborhood has gone to crap in the last 8 months imho feels like i live in the big city of Los Angeles

Let's see a picture of your ride so we can decide for ourselves if you look like the po po.

I drive a Dodge Neon... So people automatically assume I'm a 47%'er.

Never in 25 years of mobile hamming. For 10 years I drove through the worst neighborhood in Chicago to get to work. No problems.

I did get pulled over there once and the cop asked very politely if he had pulled over the police.

Are you driving around in an old Crown Vic full of antennas lookin all official and such? That would be asking for trouble.

Let's see a picture of your ride so we can decide for ourselves if you look like the po po.

I drive a Dodge Neon... So people automatically assume I'm a 47%'er.

[

Does my ride look like the po-po ?? Lol

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.