• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Has anyone tried this mod?

Yes, I bought this same kit and installed it in a Ranger TR-696FD-1. That radio didn't need it; I put it in and then never turned that radio into a dual final radio. Any dual final radio that uses this type of regulator will benefit from it. Like a 2950 and the like. It is more like insurance than anything else. It will keep the display lights from dimming when transmitting and the modulation a tad better. If you use SSB mode a lot; then one has fair reason to install it. If you install a dual final mosfet kit in the radio - then it can really use this mod - IMO . . .

Last edited:
I have installed this into a couple of Galaxy 959's.

Not the same kit per say but the components.

It helps to stabilize the voltage on SSB peaks which the galaxy's seem to suffer from.

Clearer audio also so it is worth it IMO.

You can save some money and just "volt" the finals. It will give you have few more watts on AM and draw less current through the regulator. That will make your radio run cooler/stable and making your SSB happy.

JD, is 'volting' the finals a matter of changing the supply voltage of the finals from the regulator to the 13.8V source? If so, does that leave the high level modulation duties to the driver alone?

I don't think I would call adding a beefier regulator to a radio and doing the NPC mod "the same thing" lol. Years ago I had a Magnum Delta Force that had a "big greenie" voltage regulator upgrade, and the PPE mod. The PPE I guess is just a non-volted final version of the NPC. That radio kicked butt and the display did not dim at all on SSB like it did with the stock regulator.

Reactions: 1 person
i installed these pieces in my general lee .seen no power gain or audio gain .it actually lost a few watts .
i took them out .i will sell you my kit .

fyi.....my lee is a 1969 final unit .dont know if it makes any difference either way but figured i`d mention that .
and it is not a npc mod .not even close .
maybe the benefit is there for ssb radios but my AM radio seen no benefit .

yeah

he was talking about volting the finals.
that is half of the npc mod. and don't be so rude
no need for it

JD, is 'volting' the finals a matter of changing the supply voltage of the finals from the regulator to the 13.8V source? If so, does that leave the high level modulation duties to the driver alone?

On AM your final does not get 13.8 volts its regulated down. On SSB you final get the full 13.8 volts. Yes by volting the final you leave the high level modulation to just the driver and it turns the final into a amplifier. Radio manufactures do this to limit the power on AM while still having a 12 watt radio on SSB

also called npc mod.

he was talking about volting the finals.
that is half of the npc mod. and don't be so rude
no need for it

Volting the final is not needed for the NPC mod its just what everyone normally does because the AM regulator cant handle the extra current. If you upgrade the AM regulator there is no need to volt the finals.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.