• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Has anyone used this "stud" mount?

Dog

Oct 26, 2005
Del City, OK

studs2.jpg

The one on the far right that is all metal. I have read that the gum drop mounts are junk.

coondog said:
i use to use one of the bigger ones you have pictured when i was using a 102 inch whip a few years ago.worked fine for me.
Same here , Works fine for me also.

in actual use you or i would probally never tell the difference . i like the one at sparkys becaust its solid stainless steel (i think the other is also) and using the pl259 as a visual guage the skythumper looks to have a larger diameter so it should bite into more roof and give a lil more solid support .

Ok, thanks for the comments so far. The reason i ask is because I bought one already and I am having problems setting the antenna, it pegs the meter on the radio on all channels whether the tunable tip is all the way in or out (I have access to a bird meter and telewave at the shop I will check it on once I get it closer or if i keep having problems). I didn't like the way the SO239 connector looked when I installed it. It looks like a allen head bolt with part of the center drilled out. I don't know if any of the others are the same way. I don't have a multimeter here at the house so I will have to wait till tomorrow to test the connector. I have brand new coax, connectors (that I installed), it is a brand new wilson silverload antenna, mounted on a "L" bracket about 8 inches behind the cab of a pickup truck. I should have some time to check it out tomorrow. Thanks

Yeah, that is what I thought to. I just wanted to know if anyone had any specific problems with that mount before I spend to much time with it. I will recheck everything else also.

Well, I ended up with a bad connector and need to pay more attention when assembling the mount. The stud in the bottom that holds the whole thing together was touching the side. Now I have 1.5:1 on the radio and 3.5 watts forward and 0 reflect on a Bird 5 watt element. I guess it is the best it is gonna get for now, lol. Thanks for the input.

Dog said:

studs2.jpg

The one on the far right that is all metal. I have read that the gum drop mounts are junk.

The Solarcon HWM-1 are good heavy duty beehive mounts and should cost 20-$25. All the other beehive or gundrop mounts suck.
The Predator mounts are nice.

SkyThumperMount.jpg
I have a S-thumper mount , but will not use it. the center conductor just looks too weak,, and does not look like it can maintain a good, long connection.

this is exactly how the skythumper stud is constructed and how to correctly mount it . the only difference is one is round and one is like a bolt . http://cbworldinformer.com/200108/dragon_sswm1.htm

i have found the insulator on the internal center section doesnt let me really tighten down as much as i like as im afraid ill mash it and create a short (maybe the metal on my monteros roof is a lil too thin ??). i went to lowes and got some ss parts and nylon washer then drilled a second hole and made it a lug style mount .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.