• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heathkit SB-610 station monitor / money pit.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
This toy brings to mind the definition of "nostalgia".

"A fond recollection of a past time that never existed"

The Heathkit SB610 ham-station monitor 'scope was a reasonably versatile accessory for the average well-financed amateur's station 50 years ago.

IH2d85.jpg

45 or 50 years later, it's more than likely a money pit.

All of them that I see turn out to be, anyway.

The CRT is usually the most-reliable part in an old 'scope. For reasons I can't pin down, this model has a failed CRT more often than not when we see them. The prices vary. A used crap-shoot tube from Ebay may come in under 50 bucks.

Might be good, might not. A new one with any kind of guarantee will be closer to 150 bucks, sometimes more.

One small tube in this thing is called the "6C10". Turns out it was also used in some Fender guitar amplifiers. It was never made in Russia or China, and you could pay 60 or 80 bucks for this little jewel if you need one.

Filter capacitors are part of the picture, if you want to put one of these back into service. Good chance that this will be the smallest part of the cost.

If you're just in love with the idea of having one of these on your station desk, just remember. True love ain't ever cheap.

I have one local I was looking into to buy he wants $150 for it I thought it looked really neat and could be useful... would it work for 11meter? I read it needs 35watts to work properly do you know if it would work for 11meter stock radios? Putting out 4 watts

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.