• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HEAVY NOISE LEVEL ON RCI 2970

The 4600 is basically a 3300 with an amp added to it. If its properly aligned, you shouldn't be seeing a big noise problem (well, not any bigger than they normally have to begin with, lol). I'd recommend taking it to a shop that has a good signal generator capable of generating a signal in the lower microvolt range, and have them retune the receiver.

noise level on 2970

jc4950,I also had a high noise level on a 2970 here,I took it to the shop and had it checked out and found that L15 and L16 were way out of alignment,my 2970 had 3 bars showing without an antenna hooked to it,they just adjusted the 2 cans and I was hearing voices coming in that were not there before,I can hear stations 60-70 miles away on the base now with my 2970 on ssb,and when you unhook the antenna it is silent,I am no tech but it fixed my 2970 so maybe it can help yours,the person that looked at mine told me that L15 and L16 are the ssb sensitvity cans and can not be peaked for maximum,anyone else heard of this please jump in.Take care to all on the forum.

Chris.

what kinda vehicle you got,?if its a ford that mite be the problem..noise from the fuel pump in the gas tank..

looks like mine has the same problem. i can unhook the coax and still hear a good amount of static, i have no bars, but can hear a good bit. all my other radios go dead silent when i unhook the coax but this one still hisses with white noise. it sure makes it hard to hear those long distant stations. its not as bad on am, slight hiss, but ssb,fm,cw all is pretty bad.

RT675 said:
Butcher318 said:
Actually Romeo Tango, both DTB & Justin are very good with the 2950 & 2970 radio's. Richard (SS8541) is also top notch and a member of this forum. Infact, if we were to do a top 25 Techs in the country list all three would be on that list without a doubt. I love it when a newbie comes in here and starts slamming techs he knows nothing about.
Not trying to slam anyone LOL. Just stating what I know. I had no idea they were Techs and My apologies if ill feelings were taken but seriously I have talked with the Techs down @ RCI and this is what they told me and it has worked for me for 10 years why doesn't it work for anyone else? I believe its 2.5VDC if I remember correct. Why change the mixer circuit to handle the higher voltage when you can just align the radio and lower the voltage? Like I said I didn't know they were techs and if there is something that you guys know that works better than cool let me know. Newbie, LOL, Ya OK maybe here but I have been around for a long time Bro theres nothing new about me ;)

was the 2.5vdc using a 11 meter frequency? What pll was the volatge needed at? I used the alignment volatges given from the manual using 24 and 32mhz and they werent 2.5vdc. I am assuming that 2.5vdc is the volatge when you are using 27mhz, at least 2.5vdc is the volatge reading when I am there. i dropped the voltage to about 2.3-2.4vdc and my noise is a lot quieter.

You can change a resistor in the 1st RF amp section to reduce alot of that noise. I don't have the exact part number handy, but stock is a 2.2k. Changing to anything up to 10k will drop over-all sensitivity. I'd recommend realigning the receiver to make sure everything is tuned.

Wont doing this change,the drop in sensitivity will make it rec. less weak stations. I thought a sensitive receiver is better just need lower noise parts?

I want my 2985dx better in receive, it is driving me crazy with hissssing on SSB.

Roger

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.