• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heil HMM to 4 Pin Uniden / Galaxy wiring help ideas

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Just got another Heil HMM this one was wired for a 6 pin I believe Icom the guy sad he thought anyways. What I wanted to do was wire it standard Uniden 4 pin so I could use my adaptors I make to run it with Yaesu Kenwood RCI Cobra ETC foor experimenting with these other radios I wired it up straight to Kenwood 8 pin for now to test that it worked so I could leave feedback on the seller. The mic sounds great on my Kenwood TS-50 so I left the appropriate feedback for the seller.

Problem is this, I wanted the 4 pin plug as I explained but it simply would nnot work!! There is 4 wires only and they are Black, Red, Yellow and Shield. I wired it Pin 1 Shield, Pin 2 Yellow, Pin 3 Red, Pin 4 Black this did not work. When plugged in to my Kenwood with adapter the radio keyed I believe and the PTT button did nothing. I switched the Red and Black wires and this did nothing. When I plugged the heil into my RCI 2950DX with the 6 to 4 pin adapter the frequency went screaming downward.

I know the adapters work because Ive used them for years now and on a daily basis anyone have any idea?? I contacted Heil lastweek and have heard nothing.

if is for an Icom rig The HMM-iC is equipped with our iC electret element.

you need the dynamic element not electret

or if you can figure it out how to supply voltage to your electret element and block the voltage to the mic/audio cable

Reactions: midnight special
No it is not the HMM-IC which is strictly made for Icom, This is either an HMM-K for Kenwood or an HMM-Y for Yaesu like the one I run on my FT-450AT. Im not sure which either or doesnt mater because the Kenwood and the Yaesu HMM are the same mic just wired for the particular radio.

This one was wired with a 6 pin and the guy said it was wired for somesort of Icom Im guessing it was 2 meter or dual band radio. Anyways I wired it 4 pin and it wouldnt work so I tried changing wires around but was sure I had it right but messed with it anyways. I ended up wiring it to my Kenwood TS-50 to makesure the mic did indeed work so I coog rule out a defective microphone and so I could leave the seller feedback.

The microphone sounds absolutely outstanding on the Kenwood TS-50 but I want to wire this 4 pin just for trying on other radios as I make adapters for just about every radio Ive even made RJ45 modular microphones for the newer mobile radios. That way I can try the Heil HMM on different radios before I buy them for a particular radio.

I really wanna try one on a RCI either my 2950 or 2970. I called Heil and they told me I had it wired right and it should have worked so Im gonna wire it straight to and RCI with 6 pin plug. I really need to get it wired 4 pin though and I can run or try it on anything with all my adaptors.

4 wires red black yellow and shield
Red - Transmit (PTT)
Back - receive (Ground)
Yellow - Audio (Mic)
Shield - Microphone (Common Ground)

I know this is old, however, did you ever get the hmm working ? I'm having the same problem with a HMM and 2970n2.

It doesn't look like he's been on in a while. Can anyone else help me out ? Should I try putting both grounds together, would that help ?
Thanks

Maybe another attempt at reviving this thread? So acquiring another at-6666 to use as a base I've never liked the stock microphones on them. After some research I see this Heil hmm come up quite often so now I'm curious and going after one but the problem is I don't know which one I need. The 6666 is a 6 pin but I know nothing about the heils. Can someone with some wisdom school me a little so I know what to go after?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated