• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heil Pro 7 IC

fogdog

Aug 29, 2013
East Tennessee Mountains
Thinking about one of these, for my ic 7300. I've read reviews, and there mostly about the important stuff like audio, receive, fit, construction etc. I've never used a headset for comms.
If you use a headset, do you use the supplied PTT button, or do you like a foot switch, or hand trigger?
I think the foot switch is out for me. I like to sit back a bit and I think a foot switch would be hard to operate for me. Thanks for any info and experience. I'm pretty sure it's a Pro 7 for me.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Unless your feet are off the floor while operating, the foot switch is wicked easy.... although hand PTT would let you use an ottoman lmao.... depends on how lazy you want to get in the shack. The PTT buttons on Heil's mics suck, I'm pretty sure the on mic button is just a convenience thing, for testing, etc. the one on my ICM is wonky, at best.... even out of the box. I ended up getting the footswitch with a boom.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Unless your feet are off the floor while operating, the foot switch is wicked easy.... although hand PTT would let you use an ottoman lmao.... depends on how lazy you want to get in the shack. The PTT buttons on Heil's mics suck, I'm pretty sure the on mic button is just a convenience thing, for testing, etc. the one on my ICM is wonky, at best.... even out of the box. I ended up getting the footswitch with a boom.
Thanks for the info. It's not that I sit back that far, you really can't go to far back in an office chair (well maybe), but I won't think that foot switch would work for me. I think it would be the best as far as clutter on the desk goes. I don't know, maybe with some practice.
That Pro 7's ptt looks like it wouldn't last long.

You can use a small cheap electronic keyboard sustain pedal. I used one for a while and it works well with very little effort. These are non-latching and can be found at any music store or on line for around $15. Just use the correct Heil cable for your radio and it has a pigtail to plug in a PTT switch.

Or you can easily make one using a non-latching momentary switch and put it in a small project box.
prod_8382801020

Been using the Pro 7's since Feb exclusively on HF. It's the only way I operate now. I can hear stuff the 7300 can't even see on the scope. I like the isolation to outside noise. There not perfect though. The cord plug on the left side hangs down, and will catch on your shoulder and collar. I don't really move around to much, so to me it's a minor annoyance. The Mic, and phone cord, and adapters make the desk a mess. It you use the PTT switch, that even adds more crap on your desk. Other than that there great for me.
I have hearing loss after 20 years in Engine Rooms, loud machinery spaces, and always working in loud environments, so these are the best possible option for me. I find them very comfortable. I guess I might like the design, because we wore similar headsets in the Military.
The reports I get are always good. People always ask which Mic I'm using, because they like the sound.
Anyway the only real downside is cost. They ain't cheap, but there better than hearing aids, cheaper, and then there is the Cool factor.

Been using the Pro 7's since Feb exclusively on HF. It's the only way I operate now. I can hear stuff the 7300 can't even see on the scope. I like the isolation to outside noise. There not perfect though. The cord plug on the left side hangs down, and will catch on your shoulder and collar. I don't really move around to much, so to me it's a minor annoyance. The Mic, and phone cord, and adapters make the desk a mess. It you use the PTT switch, that even adds more crap on your desk. Other than that there great for me.
I have hearing loss after 20 years in Engine Rooms, loud machinery spaces, and always working in loud environments, so these are the best possible option for me. I find them very comfortable. I guess I might like the design, because we wore similar headsets in the Military.
The reports I get are always good. People always ask which Mic I'm using, because they like the sound.
Anyway the only real downside is cost. They ain't cheap, but there better than hearing aids, cheaper, and then there is the Cool factor.
I use a Koss sb40 headset, very comfortable ear cups & noise cancelling mic.
About $35.00 online from several vendors.Also mic is dynamic so no phanthom power
mod needed like the ones with electret cartridge

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.