• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hello All and a question,please

K

KennJohn

I have been looking for a 5/8 wave ground plane and would like to know what the difference is between the model 500 and 1000 Penetrators.

Thanks for any thoughts.

</p>

If you are looking for a Well built 5/8 wave Ground Plane, I would suggest one of Jay`s I-10K`s. One of the best(if not THE best) built Ground Planes around today. And Jay can pitch in on the 500 and 1000, I think he has done extensive testing on both.

Jeff

CDX 339

RadioActive

20031128_1300_eit_171.gif

YAESU_150w.jpg
</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=audioshockwav>AudioShockwav</A> 
ATOMIC.gif
at: 12/29/03 10:35 pm

Hello Kenn John & Audio Shockwave:

The Penetrator 500 5/8 wavelength ground plane antennas, yes I have rebuilt several of them. And replacement parts are still available.

However I never heard of a Penetartor 1000 ?!?!?!??!

Could that be a mobile antenna?

The Hy-Gain Penetartor 500, and later produced Super Penetrator 500 (this was model anodized, and made by Telex ) was advertised to take 1500 watts of power. I think this was the first CB Antenna to be advertised to take the full heat and steam of the then available Amateur Amplifiers, that could put out 1500 watts.

Before the Penetrator 500, was the CLR II came in both 3 and 4 ground plane radial verisons. But had the impedar matching coil made from a circuit board. I am sure Hy-Gain got bad mouthed over the matching coil easly being burned out, by the big boy's.

In 1962 Hy-Gain came out with the Super Collinear that was also a 5/8 wavelength ground plane antenna. These had only a "Single Point" mount to hold up the 5/8 wavelength vertical element, that was close 21 1/2 Feet. Just try to hold a 21 1/2 Foot long vertical element in you hands, hanging onto the bottom 5 inches not easy! So these Super Collinears had problems with the base assembly breaking. I have never seen one of these antennas, as it appears that they all broke or were not mass produced.

Avanti also put out a Sigma 2, a 5/8 wavelength ground plane antenna, that worked very well. But its a rare antenna compared to the Penetaror 500. The Sigma 2, is in my opinion a little bit over designed in the sense it uses a complex insulatutor that is machined and not what I would call a easy part to manufacture for production.

Jay in the Mojave

www.a1antennas.com/

</p>

Hello Kenn John:

Ok not seeing a model 1000, or Penetartor 1000 for Hy-Gain.

Look at Dave's web site here, "Retrocom",

"Yesterdays technology today"

www.retrocom.com/ see the section "CB Vintage Ads" look at page 8

This shows some vintage ads for Hy-Gain Antennas. Dave does a really greta job there with his vintage CB web site.

The I-10K is designed to be able to work on 2 Amateur, and several Commerical bands. It has the capability to have its lengths adjusted to reach over the different bands. The Penetrator 500 is a fixed band design.

Also the I-10K will have a stronger field strength as compared to the Penetartor 500, this I have measured.several times. As it was the more avaialable as compared to commerical Lo Band VHF Antennas. The Impedance Matching Section, and Mounting Design are different also.

Jay in the Mojave

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.