• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hello all.

I just thought I would introduce myself and say hello. I am an avid 4 wheeler, and have always had CB's in my rigs, but recently I got a tech ticket and have been getting into ham in a major way. I find radios totally intriguing and just want to learn all about it. It seems like there is plenty of knowledge to tap into here, I hope you don't mind?

joshe2.jpg

That was my last truck. '87 4runner, bobbed, half doors double transfer cases, 37's and all that. Had to sell it to finance a business.

Now I am building an '89 4runner. Should be much the same. Just trying to figure our where to put all the radios. Actually mounting the antennas has been the fun part, mag mounts suck in the woods.

Here's the one I had before that, an '82 truck:

flex5.jpg

jeez if you guys wanna see some 4 wheeling ill throw tina(my car) in a mud puddle and see what she can do. To bad i cant get the 34' mud tires on her. :) Welcome to the forum. Hope you have a great time here!

On the 89 4-runner....are you wanting to mount 2 antennas?
or just 1?
Id recommend a permant mount (drill holes) ant that will not move:)

AM POWER

In the 4runner I am running a Uniden 520xl to a mag mount wilson 1000 and a Icom IC-V8000 to a hustler MX-7 mag mount. The unfortunate (kinda) thing is that this truck has a removable top and a sunroof, so there is not much roof space to mount antennas. I have been thinking about the ball mounts you put in the side of the truck, but I am worried about ripping them off on rocks. I have one of these rear bumpers
rear_bumper_side_s.jpg

I have been thinking about mounting the antenna with some kind of bootie fab mirror mount on the bar that runs under the tail light, so the antenna will be behind the truck. What do you think?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.