• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

help 123 chicago built 2x6 pic of inside

Feb 13, 2014
anderson, indiana
I am looking to buy this 2x6 box guy said its a 123 chicago built box but no name on it. So was wondering if anyone has a pic of inside of a 123 chicago built box it is 2 2290s driving 6 2879s. Did notice in the back corner of box was like a round thing with like a triangle wire around the top of it. Just caught my eye. Thought it might be something to determine the builder.

so he builds a low pass filter on to the output?

if he does, then i would sure like to see a pic of one, because he's the only competition CB amp builder in the country that is doing that.

this is not me bashing competition amps. its just that no linear amplifier's output can be considered "clean" and free of harmonics unless it has a low pass filter at its output stage.

this has very little to do with who built the amp, and a lot to do with how transistors work.
LC

You're right LC . . .
Add proper biasing (anything other than just C class), feed regulated voltage to within transistor ('pills') specs, and input load them within specs as well.

No comp amp builder does it that way; they would 'lose'.
They want that 'AC/DC sound' . . .

You're right LC . . .
Add proper biasing (anything other than just C class), feed regulated voltage to within transistor ('pills') specs, and input load them within specs as well.

No comp amp builder does it that way; they would 'lose'.
They want that 'AC/DC sound' . . .

What could you mean? Angus and Malcolm have always had the best tone on Earth!! Nothing like Gibson's and
a Gretch into a Marshall.......Oh, wrong kind of amp I guess

I have no idea but I am fairly sure it will work on all channels, all at the same time.

Unnecessary sarcasm aside, that reminds me of a poem I scrawled on the wall of a bathroom stall in a hot, stinky factory in which I worked as a lab technician, among other mind-numbing positions, back around 1973:

Buzzards
Gizzards
Bananas and cream
I know a CB'er who uses a beam.
When he runs his linear
His signal sounds fine
on 23 channels
all at the same time.

Thank ya very much...

Reactions: 2 people
Why the sarcasm?

Because for many,many years most solid state amps built for the cb market are built using as few cheap parts as possible, and still work.
Thousands of small 2 and 4 transistor amps were built on boards that were made to be biased, yet the builder would often ground out the bias supply and run them as class c amps because they did not understand, or did not want to spend the time or money to build them right.
Look at many of the knock off black face boomer/palomar/elite style amps that have ab bias on the front and run class c.
There are/were very few of builders that really did use any bias scheme at all, and you can count on one hand the ones that used regulated bias.
Same thing for any kind of filtering.
It is what it is.

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
Unnecessary sarcasm aside, that reminds me of a poem I scrawled on the wall of a bathroom stall in a hot, stinky factory in which I worked as a lab technician, among other mind-numbing positions, back around 1973:

Buzzards
Gizzards
Bananas and cream
I know a CB'er who uses a beam.
When he runs his linear
His signal sounds fine
on 23 channels
all at the same time.

Thank ya very much...

nevermind

so he builds a low pass filter on to the output?

if he does, then i would sure like to see a pic of one, because he's the only competition CB amp builder in the country that is doing that.

this is not me bashing competition amps. its just that no linear amplifier's output can be considered "clean" and free of harmonics unless it has a low pass filter at its output stage.

this has very little to do with who built the amp, and a lot to do with how transistors work.
LC

I would like to send one, but this page doesn't seem to like my uploads. Sidewinder been selling them for years with his amps. You just had to request one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.