• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help....Could this be RF or a Reflect problem??

What can I do to fix my mobile? Setup is S9, Preditor 10K 27" Shaft mounted on trunk with tri magnet mount, and Fat Boy 2x6 amp, 200 amp altinator and two batteries in the trunk. when I do intown driving 30mph or less every thing is ok.I can talk on the radio keying the big box no problems. when I get on the highway and doing highway speeds. While keying up The mobile starts to buck, RPM needle acts crazy... HELP. I dont Know if I have a ground problem or my SWR is going up while doing highway speeds HELP :?:

first off what kind of vehichle? you might have to re-route your power wires from the amp away from your computer if its in a new car, an ground the amp to the seat frame bolts. an radio also. Where do you have your power wires running to? the front battery or the ones in the trunk? most of the time when this happens it is do to a grounding problem.. the swr should not affect this much.

bulldog369 said:
first off what kind of vehichle? you might have to re-route your power wires from the amp away from your computer if its in a new car, an ground the amp to the seat frame bolts. an radio also. Where do you have your power wires running to? the front battery or the ones in the trunk? most of the time when this happens it is do to a grounding problem.. the swr should not affect this much.
First thanks for answering. The car is a 1994 Honda Accord. The S9 power cord is not connected directly to the battery terminal, My stereo guy wired it so when I turn the ignition off the radio is dead. I am going to rewire the radio to the battery in the trunk, and add an additional ground to the radio.The charging Cable from the Altinator is ran on the driver's side back to the batteries in the trunk. I think the Computer is located in the passenger side foot well. The Coax from the radio is ran on passenger side to the amp in the trunk . I will try to add another ground cable to the batteries in trunk and ground it to the body of car. I am agreeing with you that I most likely have a ground problem because when I install a ground braid to the Amp that reduced the bucking problem to where I could drive around town with no problems, but as soon I got on the highway and key the mike the missing a bucking would start. I am going to work on grounding everything and powering the radio directly from the battery.

the charging cable from the alt to the batterys is it running across the firewall? if it is you might want to try to re-route that to, cause you might be getting "blow back" from it.. i cant think of the right term. but ya try grounding everything even double ground it. even run a ground strap or wire from your tri-mag to the chasis, that wont hurt.. i had to do that when i had my MM9 on a quad mag... an it helped..

i cant think of the right term, but when you can up you might be getting rf back to the main source of power which would be the charging cables. then is being absorbed through your computer system. which i think is mounted on your firewall up towards the middle.. hopefully this make sense... i am sure some1 could explain it better with the terminology. but i know i had the same problem when i had my wires running by my comp, i re-routed them an problem disappeared.

bulldog369 said:
i cant think of the right term, but when you can up you might be getting rf back to the main source of power which would be the charging cables. then is being absorbed through your computer system. which i think is mounted on your firewall up towards the middle.. hopefully this make sense... i am sure some1 could explain it better with the terminology. but i know i had the same problem when i had my wires running by my comp, i re-routed them an problem disappeared.
The weird thing is I can drive around town with no problems as soon as I get on the highway and do high way speeds and RPMs up. The car starts to miss and the RPM needle jumps with my modulation. I am working on grounding my hood , doors and so on.

Thanks

Drifter,

Try a good 4-6ga ground wire, soldered to the magmount framing and then to the frame/floorpan of you vehical. Also ground the trunk lid as well. I seem to remember a post awhile back on a SWR issue involving a trunk lid mount that was resolved by adding a ground wire to the trunk lid. When running this amount of RF power grounding is critical. I am guessing that at Highway speeds the continuity of the magmount for a good ground is being compromised. Maybe adding a ground directly to the frame of the magmount will resolve this possible issue.

Hope this helps

UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Problem FIXED. The Tri magnet mount was the problem. I put a new Wilson 5000 on the roof to see if the engine missing and bucking would continue. Guess what. It worked. The Car ran smooth up to 80MPH. I guess my old magnet mout was loosing ground or had a intermittent contact somewhere. I have to buy a new tri magnet mount.
Thanks for the help guys. :D

Re: UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Drifter said:
Problem FIXED. The Tri magnet mount was the problem. I put a new Wilson 5000 on the roof to see if the engine missing and bucking would continue. Guess what. It worked. The Car ran smooth up to 80MPH. I guess my old magnet mout was loosing ground or had a intermittent contact somewhere. I have to buy a new tri magnet mount.
Thanks for the help guys. :D

Drifter,
KEEP the WILSON.. You FIXED the Problem...
Tom

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.