• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help ID'ing a SSB mobile?

GA1dad

Jun 2, 2009
I stumbled upon this at the fleamarket today for $5.00. Anybody know what it is? No tags and nothing I could find on the board It has a 4 pin Midland mic. At first I was thinking Sears based on the 106 sticker on the backplate, but I couldn't find anything via Google.

Many thanks in advance.
20200816_175047.jpg 20200816_175125.jpg 20200816_175054.jpg 20200816_175101.jpg

Front panel is laid out like a Tristar 747, but it lacks the dual clarifier control. Maybe an early export and the manufacturer didn't want their name on it in case the FCC came knocking?

Reactions: GA1dad
Front panel is laid out like a Tristar 747, but it lacks the dual clarifier control. Maybe an early export and the manufacturer didn't want their name on it in case the FCC came knocking?
That does look very similar.

The layout is identical to the Tristar 747 (Mk1) with Cybernet board PTBM121D4X.
The Cobra 150 GTL, the Hygain V (2795 DX version) and the Lafayette 1200 FM also use that same board. They're all exports with the O2A pll.

Looking at the pictures it resembles the La fayette 1200 FM EU version because they had FM in he radio as the other brands above.
The same radio was sold under different brands al,the same set up, PCB etc.
Had lots in for repairs and golden screwdriver tricks to iron out.

So I was reading that this may have been marketed as a 120 channel radio, but that it was largely marketing hype. So far I haven't found any manuals or anything that clearly describes how I should operate it. I would like to put some voltage to it this evening, but the 120 channels is not something I'm familiar with. For basic AM, which should I use Lo Med or Hi? Is Lo for LSB and Hi for USB and Med for general AM usage? For modern usage, does one even need to swap back and forth between them or will the clarifier pretty much do the job in SSB?

A little confused,,,, thanks in advance

it is 120ch or 3 bands of 40channels,
the marketing hype was when they multiplied the channels by the number of modes, 120ch with am/fm/usb/lsb was claimed to be 480ch.

the clarifer is not a bfo, you need to switch modes to resolve both sidebands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?