• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help-me-sell

Once Bitten

Aug 13, 2011
Western Arizona
I need help with the value of two amps. They are for sale as soon as I know their value.
images

and
images

Note: These are not pictures of the actual amps. I am at a stage where I need comparable sales to determine actual costs.
Actual pictures of the amps in my possession are available and will be posted with the for sale ad.

I could offer you a number but it might not be popular. Well actually it may be quite popular but just not well received. :whistle: The brand name has nothing to do with it as they are all basically the same, but rather the technology that went into it as well as the technology left out of it. I am not a fan of class C amps at all.

Base amp or mobile amp? What is configuration? 1x2, 2x8? What transistors, DEI or Toshiba or PP100 or whatever?
Base amps. I will have to open them and see the configuration. Might not be til later this week.
The brand name has nothing to do with it as they are all basically the same, but rather the technology that went into it as well as the technology left out of it. I am not a fan of class C amps at all.
Nor am I. I was told the FAT BOY has been modified/ filtered to be class A/B. I'll take pictures when it is opened.

It would have to have bias added to the transistors to become anything other than class C. Filtering will do nothing to change the class of operation but may help solve some harmonic issues. Even with all harmonics removed a class C amp will still sound fuzzy when used with AM or especially SSB.

Too the best of my knowledge Fat Boy can/has built AB biased boxes, it's also possible that the X Force is class B.

Probably best to get some good pictures of the insides and post them here.

Even if these amps are class C, they can easily be biased to class AB by a competent tech, as well as installing output filtering. The only thing that's bad is the fact that these amps have an unregulated power supply. I'm gonna say $400-500 roughly, depending on configuration. I'm betting they are both 1x4.

~Cheers~

All I got to say is, if you got small money, Texas Star. there good AB amps. hard to kill if your good to them, and will last for ever. If you got some money there is ONLY one way to go..".B.B.I.", have loved his work from day 1. I have a 1 x4, 2x 6, and 10, 32 pill AB, they CAN"T be bettered, for trans amps.

Even if these amps are class C, they can easily be biased to class AB by a competent tech, as well as installing output filtering. The only thing that's bad is the fact that these amps have an unregulated power supply. I'm gonna say $400-500 roughly, depending on configuration. I'm betting they are both 1x4.

~Cheers~

Those unregulated supplies play hell with IMD figures too. Nothing quite like starving an amp for voltage just when it hits peak output.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.