• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help using Swan WM2000A meter

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
Today, I received a swan wm2000a meter, it looks in good condition but was alledged from deceased father inlaws ham gear that seller was selling on eBay.

I connected the coax and jumper powered it up, but not much occurs. If I set it to RMS the needle doesnt move when I key down, but if I switch it to PEP the red led light turns on the unit, and appears to give swing when modulating into mic. But RMS mode on keydown doesnt move needle unless I talk into mic?

For the SWR function, I assumed it would be similar to that of using a workman swr meter? But again needle doesnt seem to do much on power or reflect when adjusting swr knob,, but talking into mic swings it when in either fwd or reflect setting ( forgot which) adjusting the SWR knob would increase or decrease swing on needle.

I guess a manual would be nice and some advice, cheers guys.

Edit. Im such doosh. It would help if the radio was in AM mode to begin with ( blush )

I also downloaded the user manual PDF, cheers.

Now one semi legit question, if the RF power is at 12'o clock on the 2970n4 when attempting to check SWR , the needle is jumping , jumping when I am turning the knob to get the needle into SET position before switching to ref. Cheers

It's best to check SWR with a lower power say 20 watts or so with your radio. Then increase power and see if the SWR radically increases.

Guess what? The meter shows almost identical reading to the workman hp201 lol , I'll wait until i get a dummy load now before making any adjustments to pots as done before.

RMS and pep show same though i think on meter.

The RMS and peak reading for a dead carrier SHOULD be the same. That's how the "peak" side of an active peak-reading wattmeter is calibrated, by making it read the same for peak and average both while reading a dead carrier.

It's when you modulate your AM signal that the two readings should be different.

Reactions: Limeybastard

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.