• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with cb swr

2004crownvic

Feb 22, 2012
Hi guys

I have this on another forum but I got no
answers yet, I'll put it hear and hope for help :).

I have been reading and hofully can understand whats happening . I have had a CB radio for about 2 weeks. cobra 29 Harley Davidson edition. my antenna is a lil will with a 12 inch black antenna with a coil in the middle. is this even the right antenna?

Its mounted on the truck toward the back window. its was working fine few days ago, I have been getting a lot of engine/ignition noise when the squelch is not tuned closed to where its in the sewwt spot. when it is in the sweet spot there is no noise but if i have it wide open it lets engine noise in. i can select

to turn the noise canceling feature on but not sure if that decreases anything else.

Next and important is that when i was noticing that nobody can hear me now. i was on the highway and could hear them but not other way around. i was looking at tuning the swr a lil better and noticed is won't go below like 6???

I calibrate to the cal arrow then switch it to swr and the needle sits around 5 or 6. I'm not sure whats going on but help lol.

there is a light that says ant that lights up red when i key up the mic. so any help?

Thanks everyone for welcoming me. again I"m sorry if i sound so noobish, but I am lol.

Not sure where you got the antenna but it sounds like it has the wrong whip in it. The whip should be about 36" tall (no coil) and not 12" with a coil in the middle. Replace the whip with the correct length stainless steel whip and the SWR should come down.

Not sure where you got the antenna but it sounds like it has the wrong whip in it. The whip should be about 36" tall (no coil) and not 12" with a coil in the middle. Replace the whip with the correct length stainless steel whip and the SWR should come down.

I bought it from somebody on ebay it this was a replacement to the steel whip. so i guess i should go back to the original one then.

Here is my whip, I already bought the 36 inch just now.

7d383cd1.jpg

Just from what you've said, and the picture, the antenna is the big problem. The black whip on it appears to be something like a foot long? That's just not going to work at all. Replace it with the whip that came with the antenna, at least. That 6:1 SWR is NOT good.
As for the noise, if that noise cancelling isn't reducing the noise, then it's not working effectively. If it doesn't make a hear-able difference it isn't working. Unfortunately, that happens a lot, all 'noise' isn't the same.
You have a choice, stop the noise or live with it. Stopping or reducing the noise isn't always 'simple' or easy, but it can certainly be done. Lots of information about that, take a look at it on this forum and others.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

It's a cell phone antenna? Like a mobile 3G one? I have never seen a antenna like that.

Ok so that noise is normal then, well that's good to know. The noise canceling dose work. There is 2 positions on the switch. Which is better? Middle or upper? I thought maybe it was also canceling receiving weak signals is my squelch is wide open. But it's dead quiet with it on.

Ok when I get right whip, put it in and then calibrate chanels 1,20 and 40. It should be under the 3? Just making sure

It's a cell phone antenna? Like a mobile 3G one? I have never seen a antenna like that.

Ok so that noise is normal then, well that's good to know. The noise canceling dose work. There is 2 positions on the switch. Which is better? Middle or upper? I thought maybe it was also canceling receiving weak signals is my squelch is wide open. But it's dead quiet with it on.

Ok when I get right whip, put it in and then calibrate chanels 1,20 and 40. It should be under the 3? Just making sure

That whip could have come from a number of antennas including cell, but the loading coil in the antenna base is designed to be used with a 36" whip.

Ideally you want to SWR under 2.0:1.

Crown...I saw you post u[p on another forum that you are in PA and far from a shop...where are you exactly, there are quite a few shops throughout PA?

The Lil Wil is just about idiot proof, you should be able to get a 1.7 or less SWR anyplace on the car. Key is you need to use the right whip as stated. When you stuck that black cell style antenna on there did you even check the SWR? Looking at that antenna you would probably blow every radio you try and run with it.

Crown...I saw you post u[p on another forum that you are in PA and far from a shop...where are you exactly, there are quite a few shops throughout PA?

Yes I did, I have to wait 24hours since I'm a new member there for each post to be approved so I cake over here. This site looks a lot larger. Everyone has been nice to me.

But the closest shop I found is exit 70 on i80. That's 212 miles from me. Are you closer lol?

The Lil Wil is just about idiot proof, you should be able to get a 1.7 or less SWR anyplace on the car. Key is you need to use the right whip as stated. When you stuck that black cell style antenna on there did you even check the SWR? Looking at that antenna you would probably blow every radio you try and run with it.

I guess I'm a idiot :(, when I bought the guy said it was a good antenna replacement. I had no idea. And when I just put it in I just started using it. For 2 weeks it worked fine, everyone could hear me very well and I could hear within a few miles.

My freind had come up and had a setup, so i know for fact I was working well. It's only now im learning about this stuff. How do I know if the radio needs repairing? If so where is the part to replace? I work in electronics so I can solder anything.

I guess I'm a idiot :(, when I bought the guy said it was a good antenna replacement. I had no idea. And when I just put it in I just started using it. For 2 weeks it worked fine, everyone could hear me very well and I could hear within a few miles.

My freind had come up and had a setup, so i know for fact I was working well. It's only now im learning about this stuff. How do I know if the radio needs repairing? If so where is the part to replace? I work in electronics so I can solder anything.

Don't beat yourself up over it, we are all green to it all at some point.

I wouldn't transmit on that antenna until you get the SWR down below 1.5. The output transistor will get fried if you don't have a proper SWR reading from the antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.