• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with cb swr

Don't beat yourself up over it, we are all green to it all at some point.

I wouldn't transmit on that antenna until you get the SWR down below 1.5. The output transistor will get fried if you don't have a proper SWR reading from the antenna.

im not even turning it on. now i bought the new whip, the right one. when i put it in and i switch to calibrate, then I have it the needle on the calibrate arrow on the gauge. I'm using the built in meter gauge.

as I'm still holding it i switch to swr and then the needle should drop to 1-2? am i understanding right?

because it still transmits and I'm getting a reading my radio is still fine?

Thanks for dealing with me, I hate being a noob lol. also sorry for my grammar, I'm usually on my cell phone on the forums and I'm usually messing words up.

Yes I did, I have to wait 24hours since I'm a new member there for each post to be approved so I cake over here. This site looks a lot larger. Everyone has been nice to me.

But the closest shop I found is exit 70 on i80. That's 212 miles from me. Are you closer lol?

Where are you located? Sounds like you might be form the Reading area? That's about 200 miles from Bob's CB Shop at Exit 70??

If I know where you're located, I can probably point you to a CB shop nearby...nearer than 212 miles!

thank you very much, it makes much more sense now. But my radio is not fried? thats the only thing I'm worried about. when i get the new whip i will report back.

The Cobra 29s are pretty durable...as long as you didn't try transmitting a whole lot, or for a long period of time. Its probably fine...

The Cobra 29s are pretty durable...as long as you didn't try transmitting a whole lot, or for a long period of time. Its probably fine...

He is probably ok......but, those newer mosfet radio's do not like high SWR issues at all.

I should have the antenna tomorrow, I guess I need to go on the highway to see if anyone can hear me.

I think you need to adjust the SWR correctly when you get the whip THEN go out and try to talk to someone. If you can't get the SWR low enough (1.5 or lower) - no talking until you fix it! You may have gotten lucky and not burned up the output transistor; that doesn't mean that just putting the whip on automatically make the situation correct yet! You can still burn out the final transistor.

Check and re-calibrate the SWR each time you check the SWR on chs 1, 20, and 40. With a short whip antenna like this, I would be sure that the SWR is as low as you can adjust the whip for on ch 20. Short whip antennas tend to have a crappy/^1.5 SWR on chs 1 & 40. A major reason I don't own nor use the short whip antennas - me no likee . . .

Last edited:
I think you need to adjust the SWR correctly when you get the whip THEN go out and try to talk to someone. If you can't get the SWR low enough (1.5 or lower) - no talking until you fix it! You may have gotten lucky and not burned up the output transistor; that doesn't mean that just putting the whip on automatically make the situation correct yet! You can still burn out the final transistor.

Check and re-calibrate the SWR each time you check the SWR on chs 1, 20, and 40. With a short whip antenna like this, I would be sure that the SWR is as low as you can adjust the whip for on ch 20. Short whip antennas tend to have a crappy/^1.5 SWR on chs 1 & 40. A major reason I don't own nor use the short whip antennas - me no likee . . .

Thats what i mean, after i get it and make sure its working properly. :)

Thats what i mean, after i get it and make sure its working properly. :)

Don't feel too bad, when I was new into CB I did some real stupid things. A little experience and ignorance goes away fast!!
My first antenna was a Turner Signal Kicker magnet mount and I pinched the coax into a short....never checked the match and my $45.95 Realistic 422A blew up. I pinched the coax bad and thought a few inches of electrical tape would fix it!!!
A new stinger and you'll be transmitting 2-3 miles again.

i watched the video and read the link. here are my results:

SWR on channel 1 was 2.5

SWR on channel 40 was 1.9

Altho it did not say to check, i did check channel 20 and it was 1.4.

So i have to raise the whip by 1/4 of a inch because 1 was greater than 40? I did go through all the channels real fast and after channel 5 it gets down to around the 1.4 and stays up until 34 and the gets a higher until channel 1.

now also channels 36-40 the antenna light dose come on even with the swr under 3, why is this?

how am i doing sofa? Im going to ground the trunk to the car for better connection.

Try locating the antenna on the top/center of the roof.
Then re-test your SWR. I went to your first post and saw where you mounted it. Not the spot i would have chosen to say the least. It is not about how it looks; it is about what needs to be done to let the RF radiate the way it needs to. Also, to be efficient and keep the SWR's low . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.