• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with eliminating electrical RF splatter

The Bruce

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jun 16, 2012
Tucson, AZ
So here's the deal:

I have an electrical service box outside of my house (it services several houses on my block). It's currently emitting RF distortion that my antenna's picking up. I believe someone in my neighborhood is utilizing one of those "home network" kits that uses your house's electrical wiring to transmit TCP/IP packets from one electrical outlet to another.

The electrical service box outside of my house is definitely the "transmitter" of the distortion I'm picking up.

Is there anything I can do to isolate these spurious transmissions? I was thinking about fashioning two metal boxes (one larger than the other) and placing them both over the electrical box (hoping to at least dampen the RF emissions).

Could this work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This RF distortion has reduce my ability to communicate on SSB by about 75% (even with static filters).

:censored:

I forgot to mention that this distortion isn't coming through my house's electrical system -- my antenna is picking it up.

If you are running licensed radio service (have your amateur radio license) the power company is obligated to send out the RF noise guy to locate and fix the issue. If you runing a CB then you may have to live with it.

This happened to me and they had the noise guy, who happened to be a ham friend of mine, come out and locate the bad transformer. They replaced it and some insulators on another pole and the noise was gone.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.