• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with identifying this amp?

Ive had a number of these over the years. Very good amps. The ones with the rocker style switches are the "newer" one. I actually like the ones with the bat style switches better. Gray are a very good quality mobile amp. Wish I had one to play with now. Enjoy..:LOL:
Can i use this amp with a galaxy 95T? I know i need a high drive amp just not sure if this is a hight drive amp thanks.

No, the 95 T has 2 x 2290 transistors already and that is way to much drive for the grey.
The amp was made for the cb market when export radios were not as common as they are today.
Standard cb radio's run the 3 to 4 watt dead key and 12 watt pep ratings and most of these old amps will not take the high output of a radio with a built in amp.

Jeff

Ive had a number of these over the years. Very good amps. The ones with the rocker style switches are the "newer" one. I actually like the ones with the bat style switches better. Gray are a very good quality mobile amp. Wish I had one to play with now. Enjoy..:LOL:

Thats good info...
I have a Gray 150 with toggle swtiches and a Gray 4 Stage 300 Amp with rocker switches. I always thought the amp with the toggle switches was the older amp?

I want to use one of these amps with my Jackson.

watch your deadkey as audio mentioned, i still have one of these and although it's been a while since i ran it, i know for sure i ran it with about 3-4 watts dk but don't remember my swing, it was a stock radio so it was prolly only 10 watts, but I saw a bit over 200 watts out of it on high. I could not run it on max folks told me it would squeal. I am sure that was because my old hygain was in need of repair and the swr was a bit high.

i plan to set this back up sometime in the near future with a galaxy 949, lower dead key (2-3) and a little higher swing and see what it does.

i have the some amp right hear it all look good to what i see hope it work i was this looking at the pic have a good day!!!!!

follow the 2 red leads to the board and look for a big diode.see if it is shorted.if so it did its job when the amp got hooked up backwards.if ok install fuses and connect to a metered power supply.it should draw almost nothing on in standby.if it does and esp if it is rapidly climbing shut it down!you have bias or transistor trouble.

follow the 2 red leads to the board and look for a big diode.see if it is shorted.if so it did its job when the amp got hooked up backwards.if ok install fuses and connect to a metered power supply.it should draw almost nothing on in standby.if it does and esp if it is rapidly climbing shut it down!you have bias or transistor trouble.

The reverse polarity diode in this amp is after the power switch which feeds power to the output transformers and that diode if just before the transformers as shown in this picture so he could disconnect the powered end and check for continuity and if it shows continuity in both directions then the diode has gone short.

When an amp is powered through a switch as then one is then the switch is suspect to being open circuit also so I would also check the switch in both positions to see if its not damaged.

4146d1297395652t-help-identifying-amp-cb-amp-inside2.jpg

Yep it's a gray 300, same one I'm running in the mobile, both red wires are supposed to be fused and run (straight) to the batt +, mine came with 12ga but I replaced them with 8ga.

I have played with the dk ALOT, the sweet spot for mine is 2.75 watts, you don't want to push it much harder, trust me, mine gets warm but never hot.

Great little stand alone amp or as a driver. (y)

I've got a question regarding this grey 300. I've been putting this thing to use lately and I've been getting great reports. I'm pushing it with my 77hml.I've heard a couple video gates and I'm happy to. Great audio. The local guys I talk to here just keep saying the audio is beautiful.
My question is I notice my dead key is about 150? And when I'm on stage4 it's dead key is 250-275 then swings to 350-375. Just seems kinda high for dead key for a 300 watt amp.I have read online that this 300 is not a swinging amp. My meter has shown almost 400 watts from this amp when on stage4. But I don't run it on high, usually stage 2 or 3. Is this a normal dead key or does it have something to do with my 77 drive watts? 77 on low power about 3 watts. The radio itself does about 35-40 watts.
Thanks.

Last edited:
What kind of wattmeter are you using?Some are notorious for stretching watts if not calibrated correctly.Just a thought.Sounds like a nice setup!

Try lowering the dead key if possible. It might only need a small amount of drive. Like .5-2 watts. That much carrier is a lot for a 300 watt amp and may cause issues down the road. A 1:4 ratio would be best or near this. So with 300w pep you would only want the carrier of amp to be about 75w max. JMHO. You can set the power in your radio. Set low power to go down to .5w and see what I does there. Or run it on a stage that will obtain the carrier of about 75w out of the amp. Then let it swing. Again, JMHO.

I should say start at .5w and slowly move power from radio up until the desired carrier is reached. At 3 watts on high stage, it may just be too much dead key into amp. Simplest thing to do is to turn the dead key power down some more. Again, this can be done by adjusting low power setting inside radio if now all it will go to is 3w. Should go lower than that. But it isn't my radio so that I don't know for sure. My old Galaxy 55dx will go down to a watt or a bit less. Might be the way it was set by someone else as I bought the radio used. At any rate, hope this info might help. Be safe and have a good one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.