• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with SBE Console V (SBE-40CB) no xmit or receive

Adamf

Jan 20, 2016
Hi all, I was given a good looking SBE Console V (SBE-40CB) AM/SSB base station. It turns on and all lights up, squelch control will make the meter move as it is supposed to when adjusted but I have NO output and NO receive and NO sound. When I key the mic I hear the relay click over to transmit but there is NO output on AM or SSB. There is No sound (tried ext speaker and headphone jack as well) and when I hook up my antenna to it there is no meter movement so I know it's not just the sound missing, it does not receive. I am using a mic from a Galxy DX-2547. Hopefully someone out there is familiar with this radio and may have experienced this problem and can tell me what to look for. Thanks for any help. Adam

What kind of test equipment do you have available?
No TX or RCV.... I am probably taking a quick look around the PLL/VCO to see if it's "heart" is beating. Maybe a run through the power supplies.

Hi, I have a DMM, frequency counter, and signal generator but I am not a great technician so hoping someone knows the radio well and may know fairly specifically what to look for. Thanks, Adam

Can't say I know the radio well, but I've done some work on mine.

First thing to check, do you have all the right voltages? I'll just give the voltages common to both TX and RX. Positive side of C809 should have 13.7 V. Positive side of C820 6 V. Positive side of C818 5.26 V. Positive side of C901 4.96 V. Positive side of C807 8.93 V. Positive side of C226 3.93 V. Positive side of C1 6.16 V. These are all approximate, but the values are from Sam's CB 264 for the Sidebander V. (The Console V isn't in any Sam's that I can find.)

Is the 10 MHz oscillator working? You should be able to find that at the junction of C921 and R946. 10 MHz in AM or LSB, 9.9987MHz in USB. Without that, you have no reference signal for the PLL.

Pin 8 of IC904 should read 5 MHz, Pin 12 of IC903 should read about 5 kHz. These are the reference divider for the PLL. The programmable divider portions of the PLL are IC901 and IC902.

The junction of C918 and R918 should read 20 MHz. This is your PLL downmix frequency. It's derived by doubling your 10 MHz reference signal.

On channel 1 in AM, you should have about 835 kHz on pin 6 of IC902. If so, you should check that it changes for each channel, ending at 395 kHz on channel 40. If this is working then you have a functioning VCO and PLL downmixer.

On channel 1 in AM, you should have 19.165 MHz at the junction of C112 and C527. This tells you that you VCO signal has made it off the PLL board and onto the main board. Check that it changes with each channel, although if you've already proved your VCO and PLL downmix circuits work there's no reason this shouldn't.

At this point, if you've proven that the voltages are good and the VCO signal is making it to the main board, you may have a problem that's going to take at least an oscope to fix.

This is just to give an idea of where to start looking for a failure. I'm not going to able to give a pinpoint fix remotely.

Can't say I know the radio well, but I've done some work on mine.

First thing to check, do you have all the right voltages? I'll just give the voltages common to both TX and RX. Positive side of C809 should have 13.7 V. Positive side of C820 6 V. Positive side of C818 5.26 V. Positive side of C901 4.96 V. Positive side of C807 8.93 V. Positive side of C226 3.93 V. Positive side of C1 6.16 V. These are all approximate, but the values are from Sam's CB 264 for the Sidebander V. (The Console V isn't in any Sam's that I can find.)

Is the 10 MHz oscillator working? You should be able to find that at the junction of C921 and R946. 10 MHz in AM or LSB, 9.9987MHz in USB. Without that, you have no reference signal for the PLL.

Pin 8 of IC904 should read 5 MHz, Pin 12 of IC903 should read about 5 kHz. These are the reference divider for the PLL. The programmable divider portions of the PLL are IC901 and IC902.

The junction of C918 and R918 should read 20 MHz. This is your PLL downmix frequency. It's derived by doubling your 10 MHz reference signal.

On channel 1 in AM, you should have about 835 kHz on pin 6 of IC902. If so, you should check that it changes for each channel, ending at 395 kHz on channel 40. If this is working then you have a functioning VCO and PLL downmixer.

On channel 1 in AM, you should have 19.165 MHz at the junction of C112 and C527. This tells you that you VCO signal has made it off the PLL board and onto the main board. Check that it changes with each channel, although if you've already proved your VCO and PLL downmix circuits work there's no reason this shouldn't.

At this point, if you've proven that the voltages are good and the VCO signal is making it to the main board, you may have a problem that's going to take at least an oscope to fix.

This is just to give an idea of where to start looking for a failure. I'm not going to able to give a pinpoint fix remotely.
WOW, what can I say but THANKS, you have gone out of your way and I really appreciate it. Will see what I can do this weekend. Thanks again, Adam

Reactions: Holydvr

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated