• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hex antenna's

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
anyone explain these type antennas and similar and benifts of them. And any info on designing and building them.

numerous sites for the hex beam, google it and read from ops who have built them

what i have heard on the air they perform well

They have kits ect but nothing on curtains bands as well as figuring out how to seep rate ect all and lengths but what I see read ect they take up a fraction of space and that's what I am aiming for.

They have kits ect but nothing on curtains bands as well as figuring out how to seep rate ect all and lengths but what I see read ect they take up a fraction of space and that's what I am aiming for.

20-17-15-12-10 and sometimes with 6m as well are the most common configurations sold. You want to go for the Broadband variant. Wider bandwidth with full coverage below 2:1 on 10m, better F/B.

Main difference between all the manufacturers is the construction of the arms, the centre posts and the base plate. I use one from Ant MW0JZE which is so popular he has an 8 week backlog.

The main advantage of the hex beam is that it is lightweight and takes up a little less space than a typical yagi for the same band. You probably won't find a commercial 40 meter hex beam - it would much larger than most people would want to deal with.

Most of the sites have calculators set up so that you can figure out wire lengths and spreader arms. I'm going to bet you money that the thing will be so cumbersome that it probably won't be worthwhile. Even a 40 meter Yagi is a hoss to spin around.

I've seen some cool write ups recently for 40 meter wire beams in QST and on the internet. I monitored some guys talking on them, and had a QSO with one fella out in Georgia that was using one. The one gentleman I talked to had his switchable so that he could point it west, or point it east. Of course this is a fixed antenna, so "pointing" it was just by switching the reflector wire. This might be an easier and cheaper alternative for you.

Brett

Reactions: RatsoW8
People do make them for 40 meter use. You can hear ZS3D with a stateside DX group who uses a 40 meter Hexbeam on 40 meters every night on 7.156 MHz at 2100 C.D.T. Feel free to check in with the group around 2130 and you can make a call to South Africa.

I don't think South Africa has the ice loading like many parts of the US also the wind-loading on such a big wire contraption probably wouldn't stand up for many years.

I'm considering the smaller multi-band one.

Reactions: Heavy Metal

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.