• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Hex Beam for 11 Meters!

Thanks Conner. The model had serious geometry errors at each of the 5 bands feed point.

Here is the model with the errors fixed.

I'm not impressed, it is a cloud warmer with a little gain at 14* degrees above the horizon. However, it does nail the 5 bands it is designed for. According to the Bandwidth Curve, all bands will work without a tuner.

It was a little over 20' feet high, but I raised it to a wavelength at 28.2 MHz. Didn't help much.

Attachments

• IMGG3TXQ broadband hexbeam.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Slowmover
Conner, here is what the model looked like before the fix. Five red errors in the Segmentation Check screen. Red errors are critical and indicates the model is broken.

upload_2020-7-11_11-6-25.png

There's a CSV file from K4KIO knocking around on the interweb somewhere you can import into EZNEC for the non-broadbanded version.

It surprises me that there were errors with the file I linked to. That was direct from G3TXQ's page and one he created. Was it possible to create a plot with the unmodified lengths?

There's a CSV file from K4KIO knocking around on the interweb somewhere you can import into EZNEC for the non-broadbanded version.

That Website looks very comprehensive and busy. I'll check out your Eznec idea above if you can give me a direct link for this non-broadbanded version. That might change everything.

It surprises me that there were errors with the file I linked to. That was direct from G3TXQ's page and one he created. Was it possible to create a plot with the unmodified lengths?

I could talk all day and show this and that, but I don't think anybody would understand any explanation at this point.

Folks can see the 5 error message I posted, but I can't even prove that the Eznec model you kindly linked for me has any errors at all.

Look, I could be wrong, but I have an idea this hex-beam antenna idea may work well in situations as a multi-band. It looks to me it could be very efficient in doing what it does. But, CB's are generally looking for effectiveness with high gain type antennas. I don't see anything with this design for a CB operator on 11 meters that will make him happy and I doubt it really acts much like a beam.

Conner, I think you have mentioned your experience with this idea, a Hex vs Moxon, and you told us the Hex was close but was not a winner.

I fiddled with this multi-band idea a little, but at this point the only modeling situation where I saw a high gain of <>5.00 dbi for this highly compromised antenna design...was in a FREE SPACE MODEL, where all the losses were removed. Below is a link to an ad for the 11 meter version.

https://www.radiowavz.com/product/s...gle-band/85?cp=true&sa=true&sbp=false&q=false

You might fined using the Zoom feature + or - keys in the PDF file helps to see better.

Attachments

• Hex-Beam.pdf
    744.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That Website looks very comprehensive and busy. I'll check out your Eznec idea above if you can give me a direct link for this non-broadbanded version. That might change everything.

I could talk all day and show this and that, but I don't think anybody would understand any explanation at this point.

Folks can see the 5 error message I posted, but I can't even prove that the Eznec model you kindly linked for me has any errors at all.

Look, I could be wrong, but I have an idea this hex-beam antenna idea may work well in situations as a multi-band. It looks to me it could be very efficient in doing what it does. But, CB's are generally looking for effectiveness with high gain type antennas. I don't see anything with this design for a CB operator on 11 meters that will make him happy and I doubt it really acts much like a beam.

Conner, I think you have mentioned your experience with this idea, a Hex vs Moxon, and you told us the Hex was close but was not a winner.

I fiddled with this multi-band idea a little, but at this point the only modeling situation where I saw a high gain of <>5.00 dbi for this highly compromised antenna design...was in a FREE SPACE MODEL, where all the losses were removed. Below is a link to an ad for the 11 meter version.

https://www.radiowavz.com/product/s...gle-band/85?cp=true&sa=true&sbp=false&q=false

You might fined using the Zoom feature + or - keys in the PDF file helps to see better.

Thanks, Marconi.

Conner, I think the model is basically right on the edge, so-to-speak.

The frequency for the 5 band model you linked was set a 14.2 MHz on arrival.

I just found that if I raise the frequency up a bit higher toward the next band of operations...the error report stops popping up. What I saw was beyond my understanding.

So, regarding your question, "Was it possible to create a plot with the unmodified lengths?" The answer is, YES, the model will scan in all 5 bands and it does it very well...and no were do I see the need for an antenna tuner.

I have not checked the model at the high end of its frequency range, but it may act the same up there too.

As best I can tell, the model is not error prone like I suggested earlier. :oops:

I still don't see the gain performance as advertised, that is anywhere near equal to a Moxon, but this design may get a multi-band operator on the air.

Well have to wait and see what 314 says about his 11 meter version, and if all went as he planed, OK?

Last edited:
I tried here with that file and got the same errors as you did. I assumed it was the same one I'd been using for the last several years which I got from his site.

OK so here's the file I've been using with EZNEC ver 5.0 from my hard drive. It gives yellow errors but no red ones.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PCxFEsdF4HK1KQRk0KQkp9lcwQeGZgd9/view?usp=sharing

Here's what I get without correcting that model at 28.500MHz at a height of 10 metres so you can compare with your corrected version of the first file...
Hex10m.JPG

At half wavelength high though the majority of the gain is going off at something like 30-35 degrees so whilst at 5-10 degrees there's a little gain the majority of it's benefit is from the front to back ratio.

Actually I just remodelled a 10m Moxon at the same 10m height and it's actually similar in max gain and take off but it has a couple of dB higher gain at 5 and 10 degrees take off...

Moxon 10m.JPG
It's definitely a good solution for a multiband beam in restricted space as it's much smaller radius than a traditional halfwave beam but like you said and I also posted there's better solutions for a monoband. A Moxon would definitely be my first choice for someone who cannot put up a 4 or 5 ele 11m yagi or wants something that they can fit in a loft.

Last edited:
OK so here's the file I've been using with EZNEC ver 5.0 from my hard drive. It gives yellow errors but no red ones.

Yes the yellow error codes are for less critical warnings. My CB models will still function with yellow colored warnings. These warnings are not just warnings...they actually give instructions for the solutions necessary for each wire that is in error.

Again, this multi-band stuff is beyond my understanding. I appreciate your plugging me into all these details with this 6 band Hex. I would have never been exposed to this complexity without your help. Many of the Ham antennas present nuances for construction, detail, and performance...that most CB operators likely never thought about.

Conner, I only did a bandwidth curve for the 5 band Hex, and that was revealing. But, I did not follow up and scan each band to develop the patterns and matching details. I was hoping for 314, to get me some dimensions, the Manual, and/or both for his 11 meter mono-band version.

Ok the 11 meter hexbeam will be here today, and should have it up and ready to roll in about an hour or less. Yeah radiowavz was backed up a little, can't wait to see what this 2 pound antenna can do

I was hoping to hear how this antenna performed. Hopefully 314 can provide an update.

Reactions: Marconi and binrat
I'll have something Saturday or Sunday, I'm just a little confused on the instructions. Not the best instructions came with it

I'll have something Saturday or Sunday, I'm just a little confused on the instructions. Not the best instructions came with it

Does this image help you?
This is the G3TXQ broadband hexbeam design wire arrangement.
broadband_shape.png

This is the classic hexbeam wire arrangement.
classic_shape.png

Reactions: 314 and Slowmover
Does this image help you?
This is the G3TXQ broadband hexbeam design wire arrangement.
broadband_shape.png

This is the classic hexbeam wire arrangement.
classic_shape.png

Do you have dimensions for either of these designs?

I looked thru the Website but could find nothing for the designs above. Do you have to sign in to see what your see?

Do you have a link to these two Hex Beams designs?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated