• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hex beams ,stryker955,kenwood ts 480 hx

CDX1220

Apr 2, 2005
california
recently i treated my self to a couple of radios, got a stryker 955, output is 75w peaks 80-85w. have gotten great audio reports on 11m and on ten, the receive is much quieter then my 2950dx3 , it seems to function as stated by stryker and many reviews i have read., but it does get overloaded on the receive, but bringing down the rf gain helps with that. i like it alot but i think i prefer the rci 2950dx3 and that just might be because i am so use to using the rci brand. so i think i maybe looking at the 2970n2 , mainly because i always wanted one lol. i also bought a kenwood ts 480hx wow due i love the receive on this rig. some where i over looked the part where it needs a 41+ amp power supply or two 20 amps that has continuous 20amp out put. to get the full 200ws. after addressing that problem i put up a 20m inverted v dipole, with a 1.1 balun and 50 ft of coax, at 25ft
with a tuner i can work 20,17,15,12,10. and 6m..making contacts all over with some 59 reports but avg. 57 reports. and great audio reports . i am going to make a 40 m inverted v, but i am undecided as to use coax or ladder line to the tuner or coax and 4.1 balun or both.any input would be great. now to the topic at hand looking at a hex beam would like to know does any one have any dealings with them and if it is worth it . and i have done a goggle search and read many eham reviews , but would like to hear any input from any one.thanks p.s. space is my problem i am on the second floor. so i went for the inverted v , but i do have access to the roof where the beam will be mounted if i go that way . thanks in advance .

If you are using a wire antenna for multi band operations, then ladder line and an antenna coupler is a must.

Ladder line is low loss where coax has high losses if the antenna is not resonant.

I.E. coax is only designed for a 50 ohm load.

Hex beam, you have some small gain and some rejection. Height would be the determining factor for performance.

If you Can get it a half wave length in height on 20 meters then sure go with a yagi.

Unless you are connecting that ladder line to that balun and coax to the radio (if you can't run the ladder line straight to the radio, and you can't) forget that 4:1 and just use a 1:1 for a multiband doublet antenna. The resulting impedance is almost never going to be close to a '4:1' on any band you use.
- 'Doc

A short run of coax out a window to a balun can work. Causes an impedance 'bump' but that shouldn't be a biggy for an adequately sized tuner.

after addressing that problem i put up a 20m inverted v dipole, with a 1.1 balun and 50 ft of coax, at 25ft
with a tuner i can work 20,17,15,12,10. and 6m..making contacts all over with some 59 reports but avg. 57 reports. and great audio reports . i am going to make a 40 m inverted v, but i am undecided as to use coax or ladder line to the tuner or coax and 4.1 balun or both.any input would be great. now to the topic at hand looking at a hex beam would like to know does any one have any dealings with them and if it is worth it .

A Hexbeam is absolutely worth it. Compared to what you're currently using it is the difference between night and day. For compact multiband beams it is by far the best of them. It is a very very hard multiband antenna to beat for the money and it'll work well at just 20-30ft high. I'm very happy with mine and for qualification if you look up my callsign on the CQ-WW-SSB, CQ-WPX-SSB, CQ-WPX-RTTY, IARU-HF and ARRL-DX contests you'll find I do quite well and recognise a good antenna when I see one.

been real busy and just got time to get back, on the inverted v i was going to use ladder line back to the tuner. good to see a reply from someone who actually has the hex beam, i can get up 30 ft easy i am on the second floor 20ft of that is already taken care of lol , i have seen 3 types of them which one do you have ? and thanks to all who replied

Heard the the guy who designed the Hex Beam on 17 meters yesterday. According to him, it is the most amazing antenna ever designed.

That being said, for the money, you can't get 5 bands in one package for less. And they do work very well, with minimal wind loading. I am considering one, myself. If DX Engineering sells them, they have to be good.

M0GVZ, great scores!! Did my first CQ ssb contest a few days back, had a good time. Learned a bunch and will do much better next year! Strayed from my original plan due to a chance at a china station and it cost me, had planned a QRP operation but oh well.....next year I'll be much more prepared. KF5VDX

Did my first CQ ssb contest a few days back, had a good time. Learned a bunch and will do much better next year! Strayed from my original plan due to a chance at a china station and it cost me, had planned a QRP operation but oh well.....next year I'll be much more prepared. KF5VDX

The trick to it is to compete against yourself and don't worry what everyone else is doing. I never go in with the aim of winning, just doing better than the year before. If a certificate comes through the post then that's a bonus but its not what I aim for.

This last CQ-WW-SSB contest I went into with the sole intention of increasing DXCC counts on 10,15 and 20m as I'm only a few countries off DXCC on 10m and 20m. The CQ contests are the best chance of doing that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.