• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HexBeam, maybe?

Crawdad

Down in the mud invasive species
Nov 11, 2016
Thinking on brewing one or "Buy it Now" a multi-band HexBeam. Anyone out there have one? If so did you homebrew it or buy it? If you bought one, which one? How is it surviving weather? How high do you have it? Working the world with it?

Any info/experience/feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
7 3

My buddy, NJ3I, had a commercial Hex Beam (don't know which one) and a Spiderbeam. Neither survived moderate ice accumulation. The Hex Beam would snap wire elements. The Spider beam would snap spreaders poles. Best to have spare spreaders and pre-tuned wires just in case. Both were on crank up masts so they were easy to lower them to work on.

Both were up about 25ft. We would put them up for contests. Much better than wires alone but not as good a 3 element Yagi at 70ft. (which he was able to do eventually).

The Spiderbeam was more effective. It is 3 elements per band vs. the Hex Beam's 2 elements. Jon and I won 1st place, USA, in the 2016, CQ WPX RTTY contest, with 6.7 million points, using the Spiderbeam, a SteppIR vertical with 80m, and Delta loops for 40m and 10m We were in the multi-two category.

Reactions: Crawdad
For all the work and hassel you would be better off with a compact 3 element Yagi that has true gain.

While the Hex beam does have some forward directivity, it's essentially a contraption of folded dipoles with a small foot print.

Judging an antenna by contacts made isn't a method to determine it's superiority effectiveness over dipoles and beams either, it just shows it works and/or the operator was an aggressive contester.

I went with the Mosley MP-33 NW which is a 4 element yagi. This antenna has 3 elements that are for 10,15, and 20 meters while a seperate driven element covers 12 and 17 meters functioning as a rotatable dipole.

This antenna is a compromise of a full size beam but bigger than a compact one. Mosely regards these as "Junior size" antennas.

Good luck on your antenna project!

Last edited:
Reactions: Crawdad
Thanks Gary, I've been researching this for a while and have seen all that and more. I'm hoping for some real-life experience from folks who've put one together, up and used it.

7 3
Notice some of those vids were Chuck/KK6USY/ Ham Radio Adventures...known here as Firerunner ...he has building experience with portable usage and short term installation on vacations etc.... I will say most Hex-Beams are not "small footprint." antennas....20m hex beam is a hand full...Yes smaller than their full size Big Brother the 2 element Yagi...Wind load wise the Hex is typically lighter. You get 1.3-1.4dB less gain for the hex vs. full size.
Contact Chuck, sure he be happy to chat with you about his experience with the Hex.
All the Best
Gary

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.