• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hey HomerBB ...............

what i was thinking was loose the coil and get 2 more sections of next size larger tubing to get a 31 ft vertical , then attach it to the base plate . run four stiff/straight 90 inch (i think thats the recommended modified length) ground elements from about 1 1/2 inch from the base of the vertical up to the 30 inch ring ....... with all those parts in direct contact/electrically connected . then move the stud mount in about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the vertical and attach a gamma to it . make a little bracket that will go from the bottom section of the tubing to attach to the gamma about 5 or 6 inches away so the slope of the gamma is the same or similar as the slope of the ground elements . start with that bracket about 33 inches up the vertical and adjust it and the gamma independently for best vswr/tuning .

...... will that get me a sigma style ?
or do i need to eliminate the plate ?
or maybe just make a smaller one

Booty,
The real gurus have the more technical answers on a thing like this, but when I was trying to get mine together I found that this antenna does not like any deviations from the original physical properties where the connections, sizes, and slope of the various pieces are concerned. It seemed to allow minor adjustments in the overall length of the vertical, and/or the radials, and some found some variation in the ring diameter worked, but I could not get the antenna to either match or behave properly without matching that part of the antenna you're asking about as near perfectly as I could.
So, it is my personal belief that you should do as Bob85 suggests and make it look just like a real Vector.

went by lowes yesterday and they do carry 1/4 inch solid aluminum rod and 1/2 inch aluminum tubing . both sections were 3 ft long and together they were $12 and change . they also had a 3/8 pvc tubing that was a bit snug on the rod and had very little slack in the tube .

i wonder why folks pay $50 plus for a gamma when they can be made so cheaply ?

Last edited by a moderator:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.