• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF Mobile: Alpha Antenna 6-40 Meter MOTO-FMJ

6E642661-A374-4A20-B8FA-C65648DD1DAF.jpeg

A 102”? I could still squeeze past the Interstate 16’ clearances with pickup roof mount. Sorta.

Ha, I’ll go for the optional 17’9” whip.

That’ll get me near 24’.

Imagine forgetting that’s on the roof after stationary RX/TX.

A tempting antenna choice.

Reactions: Crawdad and binrat
That simplicity is certainly the attraction.

Already have an MFJ 945e tuner (HF + 6M) to
get a start. An automatic tuner makes a lot more sense.

It’ll be a purchase next year (I have 4’ 11” I can still say that).

Hey, maybe next decade, huh . . .

Last edited:
I have had the predecessor to the FMJ which worked ok. I was using it when I start SOTA but have gone to wire antennas. I used ProMaster Snr for a few years as a camping antenna. It took alittle to setup but was well worth it.

Looking at this now as a possibility for a Tarheel Lift & Lay install on the roof of my all-aluminum travel trailer versus a more typical half-wave (A99).

Granted, tuner adds an expense not necessary with other, but . . .

1). Thinking this is less-conspicuous than the A99 when raised.

2). As most of this antenna installation lifetime will be laid out horizontally above the trailer roof in stowed position it would (?) be less susceptible to deterioration.

3). The optional 17’3” telescoping whip makes mount location less critical due to length (thoughts on that, as have not used that type).

4). Last concern is the noted tendency of A99 types to cause bleed-over. I don’t know if that was due to lack of effective coax choke or not.

— Have a thread started re Aluminum Trailer Roof Antenna this is posed.

Larry's Antennas - Ham Radio Antennas (kj7u.com)

54baa7b8e2d91c50107ed354db8ddd51

73eb20f0240260683186a372bf677809

Yep : Material costs have skyrocketed...
I have owned one of his going on 20 years now...See my mobile pictures...Look familiar?
For travel trailer set-up or even at home or campground....
Tough to beat a screwdriver antenna !

Thx, BJRN

I’ve no reason to disagree per reading about screwdriver antennas based solely on brand thus far (get an idea about cost, etc). The appeal of a screwdriver seems obvious.

Wasn't wanting to get into a $1,000+ antenna system for what — at present — will be an Eleven Meter rig.

ALPHA + Tarheel (or stay with my original idea of puck mount) + tuner looks more like I can stay nearer $500 and have 6-40 Meters also.

Below is shown a TARHEEL Lift & Lay on a competitor trailer with a screwdriver. That’d be a second antenna for this rig. Dedicated CB is the road I’m on right now (and didn’t state that).

D3E4754D-BF0D-47D1-A2F0-A77F270A2804.jpeg

Thanks for your pics: I don’t have a built-on roof access ladder, but I see plenty of such arrangements as yours on-road; few look as good from an engineering standpoint.

The suggestion of going from quarter to half-wave antennas may be more than its worth. An A99 on a fold-over I’m thinking might deteriorate pretty fast. Storing an antenna in sections and re-assembling on roof every month isn’t appealing, either..

Thus it came to more questions about the thread title antenna.

— 17’ telescoping whip looks promising . . . but how stout are they (winds)? It’s one thing to get up on roof a couple of times to use the rig then go back on the road, it’s another to worry over every thunderstorm coming through. Etc.

The FMJ otherwise (past $250 price tag and needing external tuner) appears like what I might want to try. (Might). Doing 6-40 (receive only on 80, etc) is also appealing, just not central.

Last edited:
Slow.
When I had it on my pickup with 102 whip, I had it on a quuck release. 17' in the cab. If parked the big boy went on. Worked better than the shorter whip.

Owner of Alpha was fast in response to my questions. The MIL-Stick is the way to go for my use.

A total price of $6-700 is the balk. I’ve planned a screwdriver on a Tarheel lift & lay for awhile (probably 3X $700 once done).

So, at present, will use the 102” plus a remote tripod where conditions allow me to use a “bigger” antenna. Save the budget for the screwdriver.

I haven’t entirely ruled it out.

So, you were using it while mobile with a shorter whip? Any comparison (context) to a competing mobile antenna?

As I’ve also my pickup to do, this antenna to ithat vehicle and/or be able retrofit it to the trailer is also an option. (Just won’t be first).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.