1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

hf radio app

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by big_sho9, Aug 16, 2020.

1. big_sho9

big_sho9 Guest

I have discovered a cool android app called pocket rx tx. Its a free android app that lets you connect to k3fef websdr, and other sdr sites. It looks like an hf rig when you start it, and when you turn the vfo it even changes the channel. (it lets you LISTEN to ham radio).. I am NOT affiliated with it, just letting everyone know its a neat app.

2. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

There are many more KiWi webSDR's than just the K3FEF.

kiwisdr.com/public/

have fun

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  3. big_sho9

big_sho9 Guest

Here's what the app looks like on your phone when you start it. and the vfo actually changes the channel.. pretty cool,, and yeah, they have sdr's all over the world, so you can listen to most country's as well. (hmm, may help when you can talk further than you can receive, and you cant make out that distant call??)

Attached Files:

#3 big_sho9, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2020
    Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  4. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

I've used that app for a long time. I like it and use it frequently.

big_sho9 likes this.
  5. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

"Rumor" has it that is what the jammers on 7200 do.
    they listen to multiple SDR's and pretend that they can hear their friends.

Heck even in the '70 on da bowl, people were doing the same with telephones.

Shadetree Mechanic and big_sho9 like this.
  6. big_sho9

big_sho9 Guest

yeah, that is annoying. I wonder why the big bad fcc has done nothing about that? ya know, now that I think about it, it sounds like their ghost talking.

7. blasphemy000

blasphemy000 Active Member

I downloaded this app to try it out and it's pretty awesome for listening. Despite me being a younger guy (34) that has always been into computers and technology, I never knew about this remote listening stuff. I played around for about two hours this morning listening to some AM broadcast stations and some 40m nets. Very cool tech.
    It seems like this would also be useful for testing conditions and comparing antennas. You could tune the remote SDR and listen for your own transmission to see how well your signal is traveling to different locations.

8. big_sho9

big_sho9 Guest

I have changed it to other sdr's, to see how far my own transmission was going. I was doing good from ky to origin. (my opinion), It is better than tuning in to an sdr website.

blasphemy000 and Slowmover like this.
  9. Justme

Justme Sr. Member

Running digital modes use PSKreporter, then you can see how far your signal went, with 5 watts i worked all continents.
    with standard 50 watts it is easy to work all you want with decent antenna's