• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hf radio causes TVI?

mobster

Jun 26, 2009
philippines
im kinda new with hf tranceivers. and i got a kenwood TS-140S rig.
i would like to ask if ever i set it up , does the transmission causes television interference?

If the TV is NOT "of good design" it's the receiver owners responsibility to fix it -IF- your station is running in a proper manner.

You can always add a low pass filter just to head off confrontations, or, wait and see

TVs often do not have proper shielding.

mobster,
Can HF RF cause interference to TV's or radios, or stereos, etc? Yes, it certainly can, but that doesn't mean that it always will. There are three main reasons why that interference might happen. There's something wrong with the radio, there's something wrong with the TV, or proximity, the radio is just too close to the TV and over loads it. There are different solutions for each of those circumstances.
A typical TS-140S isn't all that 'dirty' at all. It can certainly cause problems though, just like -any- other radio. The only part of a '140 that I wasn't thrilled with was those 'slide' controls, they aren't that easy to get 'right' at times. Don't misunderstand, there's nothing wrong with them, they do exactly as they are intended. Some of us are just blessed with having fence post sized fingers, you know?
Don't worry about interference till you have some. And like all them Boy Scouts, be prepared!
- 'Doc

Get it hooked up!

Best advice I can give is to use balanced antennas, dipoles and similar. I've had the least issues with balanced systems and have never had a complaint from a neighbor even in close proximity and running QRO.

I've caused interference in my own house when I've had unbalanced systems, issues with my antenna system or had the antenna in close proximity to the house in various configurations.

Like Doc said, get to it and figure it out as you go. Too many variables from site to site to even give a firm yes or no.

100W has never caused me an issue unless I had something direly wrong with my antenna system though...most of my issues were running power and had to do with proximity to the antenna for the most part. That is just my own setup though.

The thought occurred to me that if you are licensed to operate in the HF bands, you should already know the answer to this question.
If you are not licensed you should not be operating there, except on 11 meters (where anything goes...until you get caught)

Why not do a little reading and take your test and be legal?

i'll go with SR385 and say the antenna setup has more to do with TVI type troubles than anything to do with your radio equipment.

Yes, an over-driven amplifier will have harmonics which cause TVI, but otherwise the common-mode currents from an unbalanced antenna without adequate counter-poise (ground-plane) will cause RF currents to come down to your neighbours.

There's also a greater chance of interfering with a neighbor's TV if they are sniffing TV direct from the station over the air. If the neighbors are on cable or satellite, then something will have to be really bad with with your setup to come in on those systems.

If you mess with your own TV, it's the close proximity of the equipment and you might be able to do this and that and get rid of it all, or not. Just depends on exactly what is causing the particular interference, at the particular point of the problem.

Good luck!

what about the new box people have to use now if they run rabbit ears or a regular tv antenna ? would the box help , like someone with cable or satilite ?

The new digital TV is....well...digital. The chances of it experiencing RFI from analog sources like HF radio that might have signals on adjacent frequencies is a lot more slim than in the past. That's not to say that the TV itself may not have problems rejecting interference, though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: