• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hi, I'm new in this forum

HI I'm new as well

I also plan to take the test, their is a web page or I should say may out thier that will give you the test and answers for the tech test. just type in ham test and you should get a few that will give you a practice test. I don't have the web page but send me a e-mail and I will send it to you.
rcaptaint2001@hotmail.com good luck(y)

I'm thinking about buying a Yaesu FT-270R handheld as my first radio.

I talked to several of the guys at the meeting last night and they told me that there were 3 repeaters in my area that I could contact them on the 2 meter band. I was also told to make sure to get a radio that had CTCSS capability because those repeaters needed that.

What I'm wondering is the Yaesu FT-270R a good beginner's radio?

I don't know enough about amateur radio to tell you what all I want to do. But I want to get on the air and talk to some of the local club members and hopefully learn more about amateur radio before I buy an expensive HF transceiver.

I also plan on building or buying an antenna for the handheld when I'm using it at home. Does that sound like a good plan for me to follow?

Thanks,

What I'm wondering is the Yaesu FT-270R a good beginner's radio?

It is, as you've probably found out already, a basic 2 meter radio. It's nothing fancy, and there's nothing wrong with that. Before buying a single band radio, you should check to see if there is any activity on the other vhf/uhf bands, like 220 or 440. If there is activity, you may want to go with a dual band radio.

I also plan on building or buying an antenna for the handheld when I'm using it at home. Does that sound like a good plan for me to follow?

That will certainly increase your range, which is important. At some point, you will probably want to purchase a regular mobile 2 meter rig and a power supply to use in the house. That will be easier to use and also give you a lot more output power.

It is, as you've probably found out already, a basic 2 meter radio. It's nothing fancy, and there's nothing wrong with that. Before buying a single band radio, you should check to see if there is any activity on the other vhf/uhf bands, like 220 or 440. If there is activity, you may want to go with a dual band radio.

That will certainly increase your range, which is important. At some point, you will probably want to purchase a regular mobile 2 meter rig and a power supply to use in the house. That will be easier to use and also give you a lot more output power.

Would a Yeasu FT-1900R mobile 2 meter rig be a good choice? If so, I was considering that one.

Would a Yeasu FT-1900R mobile 2 meter rig be a good choice? If so, I was considering that one.

Once again, see my comments about a 2 meter only rig. But, that's a fine radio, too. Another thing to consider about a 2 meter only HT is that if you travel, you may go to an area that has a lot of 440 activity, so it's nice to have that option.

Before buying a single band radio, you should check to see if there is any activity on the other vhf/uhf bands, like 220 or 440. If there is activity, you may want to go with a dual band radio.

Do you have any models you would recommend that I look at?

I'm hearing and reading many different suggestions. Now I've got to decide.

I've learned that I definitely want a dual band.

I called a local Amateur Radio member in my area and talked to him for a while. He recommended I get a Yaesu FT-7900R.

I might just buy that unless I hear some critical comments about it.

Hello,

I'm new here also.

Been a ham since 4/2009. My grandfather has been a ham since 1947. Found this forum and looking to get some answers on IRLP. I have a Kenwood TM-V71 for a base radio with a diamond dual-band antenna on the roof. I usually get on the local (Los Angeles) 2M/440 repeaters and echolink so I have made lots of friends via radio. I am now trying to explore using repeaters for IRLP. A ham friend recommended I check the IRLP node status page and contact the Node owners if I want to use their node. My questions are:
How do you use IRLP? DTMF controls of the repeater like controlling a remote base? Thanks

Cheers

dxChat
Help Users
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.