• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

high swr when more power is added

what you have here is a guy who DOES understand how things work trying to educate a guy who likes to argue about things he does not understand but thinks he does,

thanks for been so patient shockwave.

LOL Bob. Sadly that is one of the contributing reasons I got out of the repair end of this business many years ago. It's like pulling teeth sometimes getting customers to understand the theory behind how their "appliance" actually works and how to run it properly. It's much less stressful when my income is not dependent on the success ratio.

what you have here is a guy who DOES understand how things work trying to educate a guy who likes to argue about things he does not understand but thinks he does,

thanks for been so patient shockwave.

Im sorry if that's how I'm coming off...That is not my intention. I'm asking questions because I want to learn how these things work.

As far as arguing, that is not my intention either. In any way.

I will educate myself before posting in this kind of technical discussion again.

My apologies.

Jason

Im sorry if that's how I'm coming off...That is not my intention. I'm asking questions because I want to learn how these things work.

As far as arguing, that is not my intention either. In any way.

I will educate myself before posting in this kind of technical discussion again.

My apologies.

Jason

Swanny, It gets confusing out here with the multiple posters however, I'm sure Bob was not referring to you. Look back at the earlier posts and you will see who is contradicting basic RF theory. It wasn't you :) Your questions have been valid so keep asking.

swanny i don't mean you dude,
im refering to the guy that sticks his nose into technical threads often with lengthy nonsensical posts then argues with more nonesense when people that do understand try to explain,

its people like youreself that come to this forum to learn something i feel for,
how do you determine who talks sense and who talks bollocks, if it was not for that i would sit back and laugh at the bs i read;).

im doing well here Eddie , just trying to wrap my head around more than just the basics of vswr . LOL

i hope all is going well for you and yours :)

again guys thanks for the help, just stopped back in to see how its going. great thread and THRILLED to see it sticky now......i thought of suggesting it the other day because of all the useful info in it. glad some else agreed with that. shockwave i cant thank you enough....im going to dayton hamvention over the weekend, so when i get back and settled in and get the parts. im going to try the "fix" on the transistor amp, i will definately keep you guys posted. BTW i gave you rep. wish i could load you up on rep! hey guys he deserves it ya know how about it???? its the little heart shape icon up there in the right hand corner of his posts....... :) oh BTW i will link the bias post i found too. good info there too. its kinda sorta in the ballpark of what we are talking about, in a kinda sota kind a way.....LOL oh BTW i talked barefoot to florida last night on my insane groundplane.......im in southern kentucky. yes the band was open, but i was still barefoot. amazing what a resonant antenna and 1.0.1 match will do. the 1/2" hardline may help the velocity and loss factor too. ...grin...
anyway here is the bias link a really good read too.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/amplifiers/37454-bias-design-amplifier-design-filtering-etc.html

just thought i would add, that i have done the mod and it seemed to have fixed the problem with it. thanks again

just thought i would add, that i have done the mod and it seemed to have fixed the problem with it. thanks again

i'm sure doc will be glad to know his constant misguided contradiction of shockwaves technically sound advice hasn't stopped you from getting things sorted out.

keep up the good advice shockwave,its so refreshing to read the thoughts of someone who does understand wtf he is talking about,but more importantly is willing to share a wealth of knowledge with both novices and veterens alike,in a cloud of bullshit that is the internet you are truly enlightening on this hobby,as is bob.both you guys patience is the only thing in my estimation that outweighs your knowledge.(y)(y)(y)(y)

did you check your jumpers from the amp to the antenna?or maybe your getting some kind of arch jumping like a spark plug when you hit it with power maybe one of your connections is to close to the other on the antenna.just a thought.

i must say this thread has turned out to be excellent!! this site with out doubt has the best knowledge to bullshit ratio on the net!lol:LOL: with regards to the gentleman who had problems with his amp! in my experience with the sd1446 transistors! the 68 ohm resistors are the ones that can lead you on a wild goose chase!! and the surrounding caps! not sure of your amp but i have found this to be correct for the ones i have looked at!! usually the 68ohms are burnt up or damaged in some way causeing some odd problems apart from low out put! iam glad you have the problem sorted ! there are some real good guys on here! just wish they would all get together and make an amplifier!:eek: 73s.

Incidentally a similar negative feedback loop via a capacitor/resistor combination that shockwave described can be used to tame oscillation when replacing an output on a radio with one that is different or has higher gain than the original,it will reduce output power but will stabilise the amplifier, at the very least even if you haven't increased output power much you still have a hardier final.

you can see a similar circuit between the collector/emitter of the final Q7 (2sc1969/2sc2050) on the ham international multimode 3 schematic on cb tricks. the driver of that radio also has negative feedback.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.