• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High SWR with Wilson Trunk Lip Mount

Anyone figure out a solution- W5000 TM on Nissan Altima?

Have 07 Altima w W5000 TLM. Grounded trunk lid to body, metal to metal. SWR on ch1 is 3:1. ch40 is 2.25:1 Indications suggest I need longer whip (62" whip fully xtended). It does get worse when whip is lowered ch1 4:1 and ch40 3:1. Ordered 66" whip to mess with. Friend has 04 Nissan Sentra w/ 0 issues for same antenna w/ TLM. No ground straps, nothing and gets near 1:1 SWR. Wilson suggested longer whip. Anyone figure this out yet?

Sure sounds like a ground issue still.
Besides; look at that trunk - if one could call it that. No offense. The slope that antenna will be making isn't working either.

Advice:
Don't like giving advice.
But if it were my car, I would get the magnet mount portion of the Wilson 5000 and put it on top/center of the roof - where it belongs. I surely wouldn't want to mount it on that trunk at that angle by using a trunk lip mount! Just not enough sheet metal surface there - and that's a fact...
No way...

Just for giggles, I might try running a wire from the "-" battery post all the way back to the antenna lip mount. If nothing else, to eliminate the possibillity that grounding isn't the issue. Are you sure that trunk isn't made of plastic or fiberglass?!?

Attachments

• 07_altima_28_(400x300).jpg
    07_altima_28_(400x300).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 38
You will never get a good SWR using a wilson antenna on the trunk. I went through this a year ago and had to put the antenna on the roof of my Mazda protege. I think it looks ugly having a big antenna on the roof of a small car but what can you do. The good thing is that it works antenna works amazing up there and I am more than pleased with its performance..

Wilson 5000 on trunk

Well, I'd believe you all about never getting a good SWR on a trunk mount, if my buddy didn't have a near 1:1 on his W5000 trunk lip mounted to a 04 Nissan Sentra (which has an even smaller trunk lid I think) I even tried putting his antenna on my car, still I get the high SWR and he still gets the 1:1 with NO grounding straps or anything but the two set screws. I wouldnt think much would be different in the sheet metal and paint, etc in a Nissan Sentra and an Altima only 3 years apart, but I could be wrong. Both of us were using Galaxy 979's as well.

Perplexing. I'm still gonna try the longer whip for the heck of it to see how tuned I can get it (as my readings indicated a short antenna with the 62").

And the angle isnt much off of a 90 degree believe it or not, as the mount doesnt exactly follow the curve of the trunk lid and it isnt as bad as it looks up by the window in the picture.

Guess I'll keep you posted on my progress or lack there of.

Does said vehicle have heated rear glass?

Well, there you go... metal wires within 18" or so of your radiating element.

Does the rear defrost LED glow on modulation peaks?

FOUR TEN?

Move antenna to roof.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.