• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High SWRs with Dipole

Sheesh, I'm a moron. :laugh: Not really trying to make you work to have to see it, Marconi!

It's reset now, hopefully it will work this time. No promises though, I can mess anything up!

RT307

Sheesh, I'm a moron. :laugh: Not really trying to make you work to have to see it, Marconi!

It's reset now, hopefully it will work this time. No promises though, I can mess anything up!

RT307

Hey 307, that's alright. By the time I got to see the video I forgot what I was looking for at 1:44. I got to go back and read the thread over again. <More audio>

So, you and Eli were proving both the facts and the fiction regarding what it takes to make contacts when DX is rollin'. You workin' a cloud warmer and Eli working a 5 element beam, both of you on a direct line and probably neither one of you could tell the difference between a $500> setup and a $25 wire.

Sorta proves a point, right? :D

Poor codeman :(, he don't know what to believe now. I can tell it in his words.

Well, what codeman needs to know is that there are times that folks get away with doing it short of the best way. When that occurs it's a real high fives, a rebel yell, and a hoot to boot.

Then there are those times when it just isn't going to let us get away with anything. We have to get it right.

We work toward the best setup, not the get-by.

Here's my Dipole project idea, I researched today. 100' of RatShack ladder line for $20, a $30 1:1 balun offline that'll connect the ladder line to my jumper from my radio, and some wire for the dipole.

Haven't decided to hang it from the rooftop, some 35-40' to the peak, or from a tree to the side of my garage.

I'm think the OP's high SWR is from lack of balance from use of regular coax. At least that's the concept I'm grasping at.

Well, what codeman needs to know is that there are times that folks get away with doing it short of the best way. When that occurs it's a real high fives, a rebel yell, and a hoot to boot.

Then there are those times when it just isn't going to let us get away with anything. We have to get it right.

We work toward the best setup, not the get-by.

Of course we do Homer, but I think Mother Nature rules.

10 meter dipole

I am planning to get my ham license so I bought one from a manufacturer who made it for what I want . It is in my computer room in a horizontal v . I had the Balun installed . I used command strips to hold the rings adding tie straps.My match is below 1:5 from 28.5000 down to 27.3450. I am ordering an antenna tuner and I will be all set . On Ebay the Blue one you see is what I bought and Rex at the company helped me set it up by email . I talk easily 10 to 15 miles locally and so far have no problem getting back to skip . Let me know if you need any help with it

I agree, Marconi. But if there isn't anything wrong with his feed system, then it appears that Mother Nature has thrown a crowbar at him.

Hey guys, I appreciate all of the input.I am learning a lot from the pictures and suggestions that were posted.

I wasn't able to try anything today it rained on me this morning then went to see a friend. I will try next weekend to get it up to maybe 12 ft in the air. I know it's not the best setup, but I do want to give it a try. I know that even at 7 feet off the ground I was picking up a lot of skip the other night.

So with that being said I'll see what happens with a few more feet in the air. See how the SWRs look and go from there.

Thanks 2RT307 it does give me hope my set will work a little for now. Here's a guy talking on a dipole to BBQ man in central Texas who I actually know.

Cb radio indoor dipole Crazy Bob, NJ " 334 - NJ -made" - YouTube

Once again thanks to everyone. Maybe you'll hear me out there and then again maybe you won't.

Last edited:
I know it gets out locally for about 4 -5 miles. But no luck on DX. This antenna is already tuned for 11 meters, so why would I have high SWRs?

Because it is only 7ft off the ground so you get ground losses/reflections skewing it. And that is also why you don't get out very far. You also don't get out very far locally (should be easily able to do 10 miles with 5W on 11m) because most stations will be using vertical antennas and on groundwave (local) signals, a horizontal antenna talking to a vertical one you lose 20dB which means your signal to them is 100th what it would be if you had a vertical antenna as well.

I have seen videos and heard people mounting them in rafters, apartment walls and such. So I know that the height I have it at should be ok as far as SWRs go. Right??
No. It will have been built tuned for a certain minimum height - it wants to be at least 16ft off the floor if you want it to start working like it should be. You are going to have to shorten yours or get it up higher. If you shorten it, do it by folding over the ends rather than cutting the wire and do an inch at a time on both sides.

Would I use the same type coax as I do in my truck?

If that is 50 Ohm coax, yes.

Hey guys, I appreciate all of the input.I am learning a lot from the pictures and suggestions that were posted.

I wasn't able to try anything today it rained on me this morning then went to see a friend. I will try next weekend to get it up to maybe 12 ft in the air. I know it's not the best setup, but I do want to give it a try. I know that even at 7 feet off the ground I was picking up a lot of skip the other night.

So with that being said I'll see what happens with a few more feet in the air. See how the SWRs look and go from there.

Thanks 2RT307 it does give me hope my set will work a little for now. Here's a guy talking on a dipole to BBQ man in central Texas who I actually know.

Cb radio indoor dipole Crazy Bob, NJ " 334 - NJ -made" - YouTube

Once again thanks to everyone. Maybe you'll hear me out there and then again maybe you won't.

codeman, most of all, I'm glad you're not giving up. Just because you can't get an optimum setup doesn't mean you can't have fun on the air. I went from a base setup with a 4 element Yagi, ground plane, and a wire, plus 500 watts to get out, to a basic setup without amplification in an HOA restricted area. No visible antennas, whatsoever. I have since changed from the dipole to a HomerBB built end fed half wave. It is hanging a little higher than the bazooka in the picture, but not by much. It is also steathier than the double bazooka, and I have the SWR's at 1.2:1 across the band. I have talked with many stations in the U.S., including Hawaii. Again, it's not optimal, but it works!

If you can, post up some pics of your yard. These guys are really good at finding hiding places for an antenna... some that you might not have thought of.

73 and I'll be listening for ya!
RT307

High swr's with Dipole

Hi Codeman, I recently bought a dipole off of ebay and when I set it up my own swr's were too high. I had a 2.4 on channel 20 and a 2.6 on channel 40 and on channel 1 it was over 3. So this is what I did. Firstly I rolled each side back about 2 inches and checked my swr's on all 3 channels ( 1-20-40) but they were still around about the same as my initial readings. I rolled the wire each side back a little more and this time I rolled my feed wire into 4 to 5 turns and taped it together and now my swr's are between 1.1 to 1.4 on channels 1-20-40. Its up about 15 feet though and the locals here are all usb talkers so I'm getting out about a 20 mile radius. I haven't talked any skip yet but I'm gonna get it up high into a tree and see how it performs then. At the moment I have it at a 45 degree angle either side hanging horizontaly. Good luck with yours.

I raised my dipole antenna a couple of feet and it does help the SWR reading. I now get readings from 2.5 to 3, channel 1 being the lowest. I know that I still need to work on it.
I did make a good solid contact to 540 on LSB 38 in western Pennsylvania(i'm in central Texas). We spoke for about 2-3 minutes before I got knocked out by other stations. I heard many people talking out there today, so at least I can listen in on some of the conversations.

I raised my dipole antenna a couple of feet and it does help the SWR reading. I now get readings from 2.5 to 3, channel 1 being the lowest. I know that I still need to work on it.
I did make a good solid contact to 540 on LSB 38 in western Pennsylvania(i'm in central Texas). We spoke for about 2-3 minutes before I got knocked out by other stations. I heard many people talking out there today, so at least I can listen in on some of the conversations.

Congrats on making a contact! (y)

Your SWR's indicate the antenna is long. Shorten each end by folding the wire back, about an inch at a time. You should see them come down when you recheck. Don't cut it though! Just fold it back.

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.