• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Home brew scanner antennas

2NC995

DAN
Feb 23, 2008
Coastal NC
Anyone done much homebrewing of scanner antennas?

My general go to antenna is a discone, which seems to work well across everything I listen to. But I have tried some home brew solutions over the past few years, and a few actually worked.

850mhz collinear: I made a few of these, and I have to say I wasn’t terrible excited about the results. Probably a flaw in my design or implementation, but I didn’t get a noticeable improvement over the diacone. I used 75ohm coax, which I usually do for scanner antennas, maybe that didn’t help. If I could make this antenna work, it’s one of few designs I could get away with putting outdoors and I’d have one in a fiberglass tube mounted right on my gable.

Copper jpole/ turned into slim Jim: I have no idea if it was necessary to use the matching features of a jpole for an antenna that will never transmit, but this one works way better than the discone at the freqs it was designed for - milair. I leave a BCT15X connected to it all the time. It works rather decently outside that also. Great on VHF low and on uhf it gives up very little to the discone. I’m still amazed at the traffic I hear through this setup. Still, I’ve long been skeptical that it does any better than a similarly tuned ground plane would do.

850mhz yagi: this one was fun, and definitely helps pick up some distant public service repeaters. I can’t remember how many elements I used without crawling in the attic, but probably 8 or so. Probably could have bought one cheaper after I bought all the aluminum - story of my life.

Anyone else have designs to share?

Last edited:

A couple pics of my attic scanning antennas.

My copper Slim Jim:
2A543880-0188-4A80-8EA2-8AF6A9F782F6.jpeg

My Radio Shack discone:
7F8380E1-7BC2-4349-A99C-B5E43415394F.jpeg

And my 850Mhz yagi:
C41257C8-5820-412E-B76A-1D814710FED4.jpeg

One last antenna from my listening post.

Not a scanner antenna this time, but a 75’ longwire I use for shortwave. The pulley and counterweight has kept it from breaking through some nasty weather, including several hurricanes. Amazingly, the double strand 550 cord is now 5 years old and holding up fine. The pvc capsule is full of lead balls. The insulators are pvc flattened with a heat gun and a vise.

32DAFC0F-F256-408F-95BB-4F0508BFA3AF.jpeg

The other end terminates at the house and drops in through the window. Connects to the internal antenna with an alligator clip. I tried using the 1/8” phone jack, but I believe it needs a 50ohm connection.

Very strong signals with this setup, I’m almost always running the internal attenuator with this antenna.

2B2DFEAF-A5BE-40BE-9780-321CF05B92AF.jpeg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.