• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Home power supply for linear amp - ever used one of these type?

I dont like switchers, I use one for my small box and do this to keep the noise out of my receive.View attachment 62014

Here is a link on the forum here where they discuss this issue with cheap and/or knock off's from China.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
In 1993 in college I used a switcher because I was living in dorms and or apartments. Luging a linear steel core supply was expensive and awkward. I had to move out of the dorms ever 10 weeks. A 35A switcher powered my RCI2950 and 1 to 2 transistor amp just fine.

It was common for guys to use deep cycle batteries and an actual battery charger not mainter in the 1980's and very early 1990's but as switchers come on the market they disappeared quickly.

Today with the advent of cheap chinese made switchers no one in a home environment uses batteries much today it went from fairly common to rather rare.

I much prefer people have 1 switcher for the radio and 1 or more for amp if going cheap on the switching supply.

If we are talking about old school bipolar amp then figure on needing ball park 20A per transistor assuming you are not a made man running his gear to the raged edge.

Most power supplies marketed as 12V are actually 13.8 nominal and most will be adjustable from 12.5 to 15 volts. The thing is most of them if not all of them the rated amperage drops as you turn up the voltage. So if it is say rated at 35A@12.5 volts and you crank it to 14.8 it might only get to 25A before it trips the protection circuit.

On the topic of harming anything no it will not harm anything to be at 12.5V instead of higher. You will produce less power and draw more current as the voltage decreases. That said with the demise of the American made and Japanese made transistors the Chinese made ones of today really can not live long lives at 15V or above on a 12V to 13.8V device. Gone are the days of running 18V-26V into a Toshiba 2SC2879 while shouting something stupid like "Worldwide...Worldwide..Worldwide". Likewise the days of driving the snot out of a big box with music for 5+ minutes are gone as well if you have a box with Chinese transistors in it! Well that is assuming you want it to last!

Also the last 3 years have been hard on all things radio related and the rating on cheap chinese supplies is not to be trusted. A current cheap 40A supply is maybe a 20A continuous supply where just 2 years ago the rating on the supply was fairly accurate!

With a the advent of Chinese smps it pays to get double the continuous rated power as you actual need. Just like when I spec out materials for anything I am going to have made in Mainland China I specify a higher grade material than I actual need knowing they will cheapen the specifications. Keep in mind the rating on these units are surge not continuous!

Reactions: Brother DXer
That's what alot of guys do now. Take a bunch those, put them in another cabinet, wire them in parallel, add a fan or two and a volt meter, then tell everyone they build power supplies and charge a mint for them. Hahahahaha please, you didn't "build" anything.
Yes but the way in which most do it is not safe, durable or correct. You can actual purchase power supplies designed to be paralleled that have a master/slave setting just like a hard drive and they have a command line is daisy chained so that one unit commands them all. The load sensing on a switcher is ont he negative side. Just placing a strap across the cases is not the right way to get this done!

It cost more to do it properly but when you look at the fact that most of you guys have a $400+ Stryker 955 and are running amps with $250+ per transistor Toshiba boxes and the cost of quality coax doing your power supply properly is cheap!

How many video's have we watched from "builders" doing this wrong and it never fails someone has a almost brand new 6, 8, 12 pill "base" am and 2 or more switchers are bad. All the time and money and risk of further lose or damage in shipping when it could have been prevented in large part.

Buy once cry once!

Reactions: Brother DXer
Not used a PowerMax but I know plenty of people who have. CB is rather lucky because most of the noise most of these switchers make is not on 11m band. Notice I said "most"!

I have used Samlex(sp) for a long time. A few years ago I purchased a bunch of server supplies NOS. I have a bunch of 80A, 60A and 30A units and those are continuous rating not surge. When I say continuous I do mean 24/7 for years no problem! Some of them you can get up to 14V some of them anything more than 12.8 and they trip the protection circuit. I was getting these though off of Ebay for like $24 or less brand new and free shipping.

They are not plug and play though you have to do a little bit of work.

I go for the 50A Megawatt every time. I have two paralleled for my amp, and one standalone for my Stryker. They work and are dead silent.

Reactions: S&W357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?