• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Home power supply for linear amp - ever used one of these type?

ShakyMcQuiver

Apr 11, 2018
I was curious if anyone has used this type of power supply in their home to run a small amp, say 100 to 300 watt?
Back in the day I'd just use a deep-cycle car battery next to my base station and keep a battery maintainer on it.
Worked great (other than the obvious dangers of battery vapors), but I'd like to get a power supply that I can just plug into the wall.

I've seen these kinds of supplies pop up over the years, but I've never used them. I've also considered building my own PSU, but these supplies are pretty cheap these days and I doubt I can build one cheaper. You can get these in several sizes. I figured I'd need 30 amp at most, but why not get a 50 amp for a few bucks more?

My other concern is most of these supplies run at 12v and the mobile amplifiers are designed for 13.8v - 14.5v. I don't know if that slight drop is going to be an issue or reduce the output. I'm not that familiar with linears.

50A PSU.JPG

1661585659332.png

Reactions: S&W357

I was curious if anyone has used this type of power supply in their home to run a small amp, say 100 to 300 watt?
Back in the day I'd just use a deep-cycle car battery next to my base station and keep a battery maintainer on it.
Worked great (other than the obvious dangers of battery vapors), but I'd like to get a power supply that I can just plug into the wall.

I've seen these kinds of supplies pop up over the years, but I've never used them. I've also considered building my own PSU, but these supplies are pretty cheap these days and I doubt I can build one cheaper. You can get these in several sizes. I figured I'd need 30 amp at most, but why not get a 50 amp for a few bucks more?

My other concern is most of these supplies run at 12v and the mobile amplifiers are designed for 13.8v - 14.5v. I don't know if that slight drop is going to be an issue or reduce the output. I'm not that familiar with linears.

View attachment 60334

View attachment 60335
I’d be hesitant of using that one, Shaky. It looks a lot like a clone of the Megawatt power supply Greg T. And Eldorado recommend. A lot of members have used the Megawatt supplies with great success, including me, and have heard plenty of bad reports on the knock-offs. Mostly that they lack the filtering Megawatt provides and thus cause noise in the radio.

Power Max 100 amp.
Megawatt 50 amp & 30 amp.

I use both….no problems ever.
So these type of RV battery chargers/power supplies work ok. Not a lot of options for a power supply 75 amps and higher

Attachments

• 100AMP_CONVERTER_12volt.PNG
    100AMP_CONVERTER_12volt.PNG
    401 KB · Views: 10
So these type of RV battery chargers/power supplies work ok. Not a lot of options for a power supply 75 amps and higher
That's a good price for 100 watt and looks like my 55 watt unit I bought for just a little less. So far I'm happy with mine but the DX has about stopped so I can't really put it thru it's paces. Good luck !

I can say I have ran a Powermax pm4-100lk on 4 stage mode hooked to a Neptune nt12-200 200AH gel deep cycle battery and the setup runs great. The most I hit it with was a 12 pill but it held it great. I have nothing but good things to say about the Powermax stuff. I also hear great things about megawatt.

I'm sure they are all good, the reason I chose Power max was because I didn't have to call or give my CC# to any strangers. I just found the Power Max I wanted and bought it thru Walmart.Com using my shopping card with money I already had in the account and it was shipped to my door within 3-4 days. Man I'm getting Lazy !! LOL

You have to be careful using amplifiers with Switch Mode Power supplies on SSB.
Switch modes work well with constant current drain but when the drain is rapidly changing like with the voice peaks on SSB some supplies eventually break down.
Make sure you have twice the capacity in amps that you will draw to be safe.
The meanwell do seem to work the best.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
That's what alot of guys do now. Take a bunch those, put them in another cabinet, wire them in parallel, add a fan or two and a volt meter, then tell everyone they build power supplies and charge a mint for them. Hahahahaha please, you didn't "build" anything.

Reactions: S&W357
My understanding is that megawatt power supplies are great constant power where as powermax is selectable between stage charge or constant. With that being said I do not have 220 AC installed and when large amounts of current are needed for testing. The 200AH battery will take the surge and prevent the ac input current from getting out of hand like when stacking switchers. The max charge on the battery is 60 amps which the powermax handles great. The obvious answer for me is to get 220 up and get off the battery but that's a different battle. So... If your keeping a dedicated AC outlet and input current under the 15 amp breaker rating your golden.
:oops::giggle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated