1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Homebrew 2m Moxon: Gotta get a fix...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by HomerBB, Mar 28, 2018.

1. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

Wanting to do something quick, and just so happen to have a thrift store walker laying around, I whipped up this 2m Moxon.
    It's pouring down rain continuously today, so I checked the SWR match inside my 12'x12' workshop. 1.5:1 was a little below the band at 136 Mhz, so I cut a smidgen off its width and tried again Got a usable SWR of 1.5:1 where I wanted it in mid band and decided finer tuning would wait.
    Hooked it up to my Baofeng HT and called toward the south of me. Fifteen miles away a ham friend came back to me. He's vertical, I'm horizontal. He has a read with static. I hold it vertical and the static cleans up. I climb the ladder so the antenna is now 15' high. Horizontal he reports clear clean audio no S units on his radio meter (IC 746). Vertical he reports two S units, clear and clean.
    It's still raining so I pack it in for the day.
    Homer
    KG5SQX
    20180327_181046-01.jpeg 20180327_181053-01.jpeg

Riverman71 likes this.

2. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

Given you're on FM only I'd just keep it vertical. Remember to bring the coax out horizontally for a few feet.

3. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

Ah, yes. Good point.
    I put it up in the air to play with on ssb, which I do have on my base rig.

4. firerunner

firerunner Active Member

That a nice 2m Moxon HomerBB, I just recently built two 2 meter antennas. I built a halo antenna its horizontal and a portable 4 element yagi thats a combination of PVC and aluminum rod. Keep those antennas coming!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry the Yagi is a picture of a picture quality not great.

HomerBB likes this.
  5. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

They look great!
    Still cleaning up my collinear vertical.

6. firerunner

firerunner Active Member

In the background is my home made 6m hexbeam also

HomerBB likes this.
  7. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

They all look great. Most of mine look like they need help crossing the street.