• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homebrew antenna switch box

I'm not sure if longer wire would hurt it or not.

I had another box that had 6 inch wire and it didn't affect it. but i may have just gotten lucky on that one.

Only reason i made a different one is because i wanted to make the desk look cleaner and have everything with in arms reach.

I don't see why you couldn't use a bigger box. just use one that is made out of metal and use a solid cover on it instead of one with a hole for a light switch.

I think it would be better to use the bigger one and mount the switch through the center of the cover, then you can run your SO-239 connectors on any of the 4 sides.

I didn't punch out the holes in the electrical box, i just center punched the ones i wanted and drilled the holes big enough for the SO-239.

Punching out the holes will make them to big in my eyes.

The only thing paid for in this setup was the box. Everything else came from parts radios. so if you have a few radios laying around you already have the SO- 239 connectors. And if you have a radio that has SSB. There's a 3 position switch.

so that leaves the box and some coax for running inside the box. I just hooked the center of the coax to the centers of the SO-239 and the box was used as the ground.

I did find at Radio Shack, a 5 or 6 switch with a long shaft which i'm sure can be cut to length.

I've been thinking about making another switch box for doing as you wanting to do also. so now that i got it working right ill leave it be for now and work on something else.

Hope you enjoy making the switch box as i have.

Mark

I'm prety sure i have everything including the 3 position switch and the so 239's as well as plenty of coaxial and the box and solid face cover. I just wanted to make sure that an extra 1 " of wire for the expanded box wouldn't be highly detrimental to the set up. right now my swr's are 1 to 1 and I would like to keep them that way, if I make this switch and it pushes up over 1.3 to 1 then I probably wont bother running it. but it should be fun to make either way.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.