• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

homebrew astroplane build

Marconi,

thanks for that model.
looks like i should be just fine.

the masts i will be using come from Max Gain Systems, and are i believe the same product that MFJ uses in their fiberglass telescoping masts.

i will be using four 8 foot sections going from 1.25" up to 2" at the bottom.
here is a link to the top section i'll be using: https://mgs4u.com/product/1-14-od-round-tube/

i will be guying it with the dacron rope, first at about the 10 foot level, and then right near the top, somewhere between the feedpoint bracket and the lower "spreader" bracket.
LC

Thanks LC, I don't know what I was thinking.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited:
ive made a simple version of this antenna. does anyone have acess to the model program to input the measurements to see how it models? ive talked on it and it seems to be good. swr was great on the ground. but id like to see what it looks like on a model

It works okay?​
Get the upper bracket connections 6" apart. Make sure your ring is ~30" diameter, or 95.5" circumference.
My aluminum foil tape AP lasted years until a tree branch fell on it.

4925-01.jpeg

Yeah it does fairly good really. Compared to the factory astro its 1 s unit lower, but it's also still below the roof peak and closer to the metal. Its 8ft or so lower to the ring I think. Now its snow everywhere so I'm on hold. Although I have some strange readings on my power meter that I can not explain. I'll post those questions in a general post though as it's to do with 3 different antennas

Reactions: HomerBB
In the near straight down and wider spaced configuration you have yours two likely things are occurring. Your gain may be different, I think perhaps slightly less, and your TOA will be different.

I have a .64 groundplane, a factory astro and the tin foil all 3 in the air. Using an antenna switch my radio will key the following wattage according to the external meter. I'm not going to debate the whole dosy watts vs bird watts as I'm not concerned about peak, but rather rms.

.64 keys 2.75 watts swr of 2.1
Factory astro keys 3.5 watts swr of 1.5
Tin foil keys 5 watts swr of 1.7

Pep while not really something i want to debate about is also showing much freer and higher on the tin foil

Reactions: HomerBB
I been thinking. What if you made the toa adjustable? Where you could control it from inside the shack? A expanding hoop that you could adjust according to the signal you're listening to?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.