• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homebrew dummy load

mag69

Oct 2, 2005
MI
I got a question for you pros, can I use a 100watt 50ohm heavy duty wire wound resistor as a dummy load? and if not what can I use? the easier the better for this newbie.
Thanks Guys :D

Wire wound resistors dont work good becouse the value of them changes with tempeture. If you had some regular resistors you could wire up for 50 ohms that would work.

rfparts.com sells carbon comp resistors in 2 watt values up to 1M ohm. You guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you use resistors that are, for example, 2W 300ohm, you would use 6 resistors in parallel for a dummyload of 12W and 50ohm. (2W x 6 = 12W) and (300ohm / 6 = 50ohm)

what is the total amount of power that you want to put in your dummy load?

That would be the first question to ask yourself....then we can give you help or point you in the right direction....the easiest is to purchase already built but sometimes it isn't as much fun as building your own and being able to show/tell others what you have done....do you want to buy or build?

No on the 100 watt light bulb!....

well, if he doesn't ask, he might hear it someplace else, and then we would not be able to help him.

ebay is probably the best bet.

Manufacturer: Globar
these may no longer be available........

Part #: 886SP500K
Length: 5 X 3/4
Ohms : 50
Adv. power: 90 W
Peak energy: 500 joules
Peak volts: 4000V

Norm N8NH

here's the one you're looking for........

L100J50R 50 OHM 100 WATT 10% TUBULAR (AIR CORE) CERAMIC ENAMEL COATED RESISTOR-SIZE: 6-1/2"L x 13/16" DIAMETER $19.75

http://www.electronicplus.com/content/ProductPage.asp?maincat=RE&subcat=REK

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.