• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homebrew Longwave Tuner

dc2rf

Jan 15, 2014
I thought the members of this forum would like to see a tuner I built to take advantage of the longwave capabilities of my receiver.

I'm using this tuner with a Yaesu FRG-100. The tuner interfaces with an 11 meter band coaxial vertical dipole. The tuner operates as a Hi-Q series resonant circuit. With the vertical dipole, I can pretty much hear any signal available that makes it through the noise level. This past November, I was hearing the European LW broadcasters making the trip here into the midwest. Other signals such as the 500khz amateur radio experimenters are also heard quite easily. Of course there are hundreds of navagational beacons on the band to be logged.

Notice the small switches on the tuning capacitor that change the tuning range. I found that nice Hi-Q coil in a scrapped radio, and knew it would be perfect for this project. You may notice the small coil and trimmer cap at the antenna input. That is a resonant circuit to "kill" the signal of a local 50KW pest on 560Khz. There tends to be some intermod on the LW band without this "trap". The coiled output with the ferrite ring couples to the Yaesu. I have replaced this coil since the picture was taken with a lowpass filter that cuts off at the bottom of the BCB to further reduce the chances of intermod.

The tuning range of the tuner is roughly 560khz at the high end, to about 150khz at the low end. I can lower the tuner range very easily to about 100khz by inserting a 4" ferrite rod into the coil tube.

Attachments

• lw1.jpg
    lw1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 361
  • lw2.jpg
    lw2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 351
Reactions: 3 people

Nice "Breadboard" Project....:D
I built one similar years ago for camping to use on HF....
"L" network using a small roller inductor + fixed coil and variable air cap...
Throw a "Hunk" of wire between trees and a small 4 ft ground rod and your "In the Air"
Well Done
GL
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: 1 person
I like the breadboard look. :) I've done a number of projects with the boards.

O.K. on your camping tuner. Yes, the L-match is pretty versatile. With the ground rod, were you looking to work the lower HF bands? Just curious.

Isn't it nice to enjoy the relatively low noise level on receive while out in the country? Most of my home QTH's have been riddled with powerline QRM battering my receivers.

Thanks for your comments Gary.

p.s. btw, the tuning knob is from an old Heathkit HW-16 novice rig.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.