• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homemade Sigma 4 11 meter base antenna

I used the 971 to tune my Sirio Performer PL5000 to my CRE-8900 on 27.285 am. It's now keying 25 watts and swings 35 watts am and whistle's 50 watts like DTB said it did when he tuned and aligned it. It swings to 35 watts LSB and whistles 50 watts. Note:this is just a test.
I'll tune the base antenna next(galaxy DX-959&K40 Magmount on roof)
The meter is showing the 300 watt scale and me whistling on am
The neat thing is that as I'm using the 971 with the SWR function on my 8900,I can tune it even better than with the 971 alone.
P.S. those figures are with the stock mic. She'll talk 40 watts am with the Road Devil mic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
why not just tune your antenna correctly?,, aren't you just fooling the radio into thinking it has a better antenna match than it actually does,, when the power gets to the antenna its still the same swr it had before , right?

just wondering,, got my mfj 259b today and ive been playing with antenna's all afternoon, even made a bouble bazooka dipole mounted on the roof for an extra radio I had on the bench here

why not just tune your antenna correctly?,, aren't you just fooling the radio into thinking it has a better antenna match than it actually does,, when the power gets to the antenna its still the same swr it had before , right?

just wondering,, got my mfj 259b today and ive been playing with antenna's all afternoon

Just got off of work and toying with it. I don't have time today for antenna tuning. Got to get some sleep. 2:30 am comes early. I get it tuned soon though.
Congrats on your 259b. That's the one I want...someday

Last edited:

Doesn't the matching network that most antennas have do exactly the same thing as you say this tuner is doing? Are they not just tuners located further up the feedline?

just wondering,, got my mfj 259b today and ive been playing with antenna's all afternoon, even made a bouble bazooka dipole mounted on the roof for an extra radio I had on the bench here

Have fun with that 259b.

The DB

I love making stuff from nothing. Maybe I'll try my hand at a Sigma 4 style antenna. Booty Monster,I can see where beefing up things would help. My homemade free standing tower I built has in service since 01' and all it needs is a wire brush on some of the welded parts and a new coat of Rustoleum and silver paint.

Update: at the first of this thread I talked about making my own version of a Sigma 4 antenna. I didn't know anything at all about making one so at that time I had decided to buy a Sirio Vector 4000 which I did but am keeping it unassembled until after I move to the mountains. I want to do that to perfection. Since then I had started a new thread on X-Mount Dipole an idea. I have about 2/3rds of the parts needed to make a Circular Polarized Beam Antenna with director elements and a reflector for it. I think Booty Monster and others have made their contribution to the Sigma 4 design and for me to try one would just be redundant. Thanks to you guys for helping

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.