• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homemade Sigma 4 11 meter base antenna

I love making stuff from nothing. Maybe I'll try my hand at a Sigma 4 style antenna. Booty Monster,I can see where beefing up things would help. My homemade free standing tower I built has in service since 01' and all it needs is a wire brush on some of the welded parts and a new coat of Rustoleum and silver paint.

i was really going on faith and working in the dark on that one :confused: . and a good part of the thread is my ideas not doing what i wanted :cry: :censored: . but i eventually got what i wanted (y) .

i highly suggest reading these three threads if you're at all interested in these type antennas .

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/144592-vector-4000-remake.html

homers bottom x bracket looks to be about as strong as my plate bracket and allows the bottom of the basket elements to be off the bottom of the vertical the inch or so that they need . i think folks would be worried about their roof flying off before either of our bottom attachments fail in wind and homers is simpler to make and can be made with aluminum strips from lowes/home depot . and be sure to use his idea for pex for the gamma insulator :D . also be sure to double wall at least the two lower section of the vertical or use the 1/4 inch wall tubing . when i put mine back up i'm gon tripple wall the lower section and double the second and third sections . then the 2 inch O.D. bottom will fit perfectly in the 2 inch inside diameter conduit i use for mast :)

also , take your time reading these two threads .....

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/31799-avanti-sigma4-alternative-view-point.html

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/36412-modified-vector-4000-a.html

i've read through each several times and find new things that make more sense than it did before every time .

good luck with your build and be sure to do a thread with pics as you go so if i see you do something i like better than i do .... i can steal .... ummmmm , i mean copy your idea ;)

my results didn't jive with what i was told at Eham ..... there was even a guy that said he used to work at avanti and wasn't a fan of my antenna :( LOL . but it gave me better results than any of my previous antennas so i'm sticking with it . my TX?RX results trump any comments made by anyone on any forum . and i'm fully open to these type antennas not being the best for everyone .... but i believe it could be the best antenna for most folks ... if it will hold up to their weather extremes .

BTW .... you should make a thread here about your tower explaining how you built it and some pics to show what you did (y)(y)(y)

i was really going on faith and working in the dark on that one :confused: . and a good part of the thread is my ideas not doing what i wanted :cry: :censored: . but i eventually got what i wanted (y) .

i highly suggest reading these three threads if you're at all interested in these type antennas .

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/144592-vector-4000-remake.html

homers bottom x bracket looks to be about as strong as my plate bracket and allows the bottom of the basket elements to be off the bottom of the vertical the inch or so that they need . i think folks would be worried about their roof flying off before either of our bottom attachments fail in wind and homers is simpler to make and can be made with aluminum strips from lowes/home depot . and be sure to use his idea for pex for the gamma insulator :D . also be sure to double wall at least the two lower section of the vertical or use the 1/4 inch wall tubing . when i put mine back up i'm gon tripple wall the lower section and double the second and third sections . then the 2 inch O.D. bottom will fit perfectly in the 2 inch inside diameter conduit i use for mast :)

also , take your time reading these two threads .....

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/31799-avanti-sigma4-alternative-view-point.html

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/36412-modified-vector-4000-a.html

i've read through each several times and find new things that make more sense than it did before every time .

good luck with your build and be sure to do a thread with pics as you go so if i see you do something i like better than i do .... i can steal .... ummmmm , i mean copy your idea ;)

my results didn't jive with what i was told at Eham ..... there was even a guy that said he used to work at avanti and wasn't a fan of my antenna :( LOL . but it gave me better results than any of my previous antennas so i'm sticking with it . my TX?RX results trump any comments made by anyone on any forum . and i'm fully open to these type antennas not being the best for everyone .... but i believe it could be the best antenna for most folks ... if it will hold up to their weather extremes .

BTW .... you should make a thread here about your tower explaining how you built it and some pics to show what you did (y)(y)(y)

Thanks! BM,How is that antenna performing now?

it's not ATM . i moved and haven't put it back up yet . and now i have to put my money into fixing my old truck :censored::censored::censored:
i hope i don't have to sell it ..... :wub: :(

The guy that said he worked for Avanti, actually did work for the company and holds patents on some mobile antennas the company use to market. He was there when Herb filed his patent on the Sigma. Of course this has made me extremely curious as to why his comments on the antenna are quite different than what his college claimed in the patent.

I presented much of the information that has become available over the last few years which all supports the fact the entire antenna radiates, not just the top 1/2 wave. I've even built a working prototype that allows me to prove beyond any doubt that the bottom radiates in phase with the top by experimenting with the phase angle required to combine two collinear sections.

The experiment clearly revealed that the only phase delay between the existing antenna and the added top 1/2 wave that would increase gain was one that provided a 90 degree delay between sections. Those that think it's a half wave can wiggle around this fact all they want but the only possibility here is that the antenna is radiating in phase across the entire 270 degree or 3/4 wavelength. Lets see what they say.

Reactions: 3 people
shockwave id not lose much sleep over the avanti guys comments, he could be the same avanti guy master chief talked to,

some time ago marconi purchased a back issue article about the avanti astrobeam,
i had high hopes it was going to prove my theory & explain in their own words how the astrobeam and astroplane worked since the front cover had a picture of an avanti engineer with drawings of that style antenna on the chalk board,

i was wrong and more than a little surprised, the avanti engineers admitted to NOT understanding exactly how it worked,

if they can't understand the astroplane they won't get the sigma either :)

CEBIK was right in everything he confirmed for me about the antenna and the people who will generate pages of meaningless argument because how it operates is not apparent to most people,

every time i see your cst plot i smile <gotproof>

Reactions: 1 person
Huh?

shockwave id not lose much sleep over the avanti guys comments, he could be the same avanti guy master chief talked to,

some time ago marconi purchased a back issue article about the avanti astrobeam,
i had high hopes it was going to prove my theory & explain in their own words how the astrobeam and astroplane worked since the front cover had a picture of an avanti engineer with drawings of that style antenna on the chalk board,

i was wrong and more than a little surprised, the avanti engineers admitted to NOT understanding exactly how it worked,

if they can't understand the astroplane they won't get the sigma either :)

CEBIK was right in everything he confirmed for me about the antenna and the people who will generate pages of meaningless argument because how it operates is not apparent to most people,

every time i see your cst plot i smile <gotproof>

Ok then

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated