• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homemade Starduster Antenna

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
This one was simple.
103” aluminum vertical and four 4’ Francis mobile antennas.
The radial mount is a hub from an Antron 99 ground plane kit.
SWR is 1:1 on channels 1 and 40 and nearly flat on 20.
EA9C4DB6-B199-42DD-B606-7998136DA1F7.jpeg
3CC16D5A-6292-42D1-8923-A17FEAC18914.jpeg
The red wire is to insure a good electrical connection between the antenna mount and the radial hub.

And it works well, that's a winner right there. Jim does it again!

Is the vertical a homemade jig or from spare parts bin?
Aluminum I got from a local. One piece slides into the other to adjust for length. He's got a pile of aluminum pieces from old antennas. I slid it over a 4" piece of an old shock-cord antenna of mine. It was a tight fit. Perfect. The easy make would be just to use a 102" steel whip.

Nice work, The starduster required installer to route the coax inside the mast pipe, this has the benefit of isolating the coax from the rf produced at the antenna.

If only transmitting with low power its might be OK not to isolate the coax.
glad to see someone building and having fun with antennas.

Nice work, The starduster required installer to route the coax inside the mast pipe, this has the benefit of isolating the coax from the rf produced at the antenna.

If only transmitting with low power its might be OK not to isolate the coax.
glad to see someone building and having fun with antennas.
Coax is sheilded.

Reactions: Riverman
We used to make these back in the hood in the 90's. Use a trucker mirror mount for the base. 102" stainless whip for the vertical. Had a local metal shop supplier of 5/16" solid aluminum rod stock. 3 - 9 foot rods hanging 45° down from the mount. Good times ......

notice the coax goes INSIDE mast pipe

reference to shielding coax or isolating.

enjoy the reading, the last link goes in depth with many respected members adding input.

Reactions: Mudduckmobile
Your Antenna looks great but I am curious what you used to connect the aluminum vertical to the stud connector? I marked the area in red.riverman antenna.jpeg

Your Antenna looks great but I am curious what you used to connect the aluminum vertical to the stud connector? I marked the area in red.
The portion that screws into the stud is from an old shock-cord antenna. I used a hacksaw leaving about 4” of the old antenna, sanded off the paint and slid the aluminum down over it. It was a real tight fit so worked perfectly.

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
The portion that screws into the stud is from an old shock-cord antenna. I used a hacksaw leaving about 4” of the old antenna, sanded off the paint and slid the aluminum down over it. It was a real tight fit so worked perfectly.
Thanks for the reply, I guess it didnt register last night.... Must be Getting old....

Reactions: Riverman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?