• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Homer's multiband wire antenna just above ground.

Marconi

Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.
Oct 23, 2005
Houston
Homer's multi-band wire antenna just inches above the ground. Probably works great with a little help of a nice tuner.

Didn't produde a lot of gain, close to the Earth, but I bet it worked pretty good. How about it Homer?

What did you think?

Attachments

• Homer's multiband.pdf
    768.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

While it was up I made contacts on all bands 80m - 10m. 20m was particularly good, the others were okay. It tended to do better on 20m than the inverted L wire I compared it with. It tuned easily with an in shack tuner. For a little while I put either a 2:1 or 4:1 transformer (can't remember which, now) at the feedpoint which made the tuner happier.

Last edited:
Thanks Homer. How is the noise on this monster. I did not add the maximum gain and angle results to the antenna image...I didn't want to scare you off from working it for us.

Note that this design also shows some horizontal radiation that might be important with some contacts.

Attachments

• Homer's Monster showing the maximum gain and angle.pdf
    227.8 KB · Views: 2
The noise was about the same as the inverted L. It was a vertical with a top hat, so behaved as such. Noise was band dependent. Lower bands noisier, upper bands less so.
I eventually had 33 ground mounted radials on it ranging from 15' long to 60' long. I removed them before I dismantled the antenna and ran it some with only a earth ground and found it did about the same. Lower bands tuned more difficultly without radials.

Reactions: Marconi

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.