• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hope I didn't have a Blonde Moment

I ended up with two of them. As I said I run one in the mobile, and the other is a backup. The first I traded for a Baofeng handheld. The other I found on fleabay out of Lake Havasu which is about 60 miles from me. I think it was around $60. I am happy. I also have the TRC-453 and the TRC-465. I think all three are about the last good radio Uniden made. Of course there are differences, but they are still the same for the most part.

Well today I decided to hook it up in my car finally to try it out and wouldn't you know the traffic on 11 meter slowed down from what it was so I accomplished nothing. It's that little black cloud that follows me around. But I did find the first flaw in the radio but it is usual, The LCD display is hard to see in the sunlight. One other thing I wanted to check out was my Stryker SR-10 antenna which has a perfect SWR but in a years time I haven't made any DX contacts with it which I blamed on the McKinley I was messing with. OH well maybe a few hours from now or tomorrow. This does get frustrating !

I ended up with two of them. As I said I run one in the mobile, and the other is a backup. The first I traded for a Baofeng handheld. The other I found on fleabay out of Lake Havasu which is about 60 miles from me. I think it was around $60. I am happy. I also have the TRC-453 and the TRC-465. I think all three are about the last good radio Uniden made. Of course there are differences, but they are still the same for the most part.
I just haven't heard any bad about them !

Reactions: Eldorado828
Well today I decided to hook it up in my car finally to try it out and wouldn't you know the traffic on 11 meter slowed down from what it was so I accomplished nothing. It's that little black cloud that follows me around. But I did find the first flaw in the radio but it is usual, The LCD display is hard to see in the sunlight. One other thing I wanted to check out was my Stryker SR-10 antenna which has a perfect SWR but in a years time I haven't made any DX contacts with it which I blamed on the McKinley I was messing with. OH well maybe a few hours from now or tomorrow. This does get frustrating !

I bet with a little amp like a RM Italy 203 behind that radio you would have much better luck. It's difficult to compete with a base station running hundreds, if not a couple thousands watts, with a barefoot mobile.

I think all three are about the last good radio Uniden made.

I'd have to disagree a little. I just acquired an original grant that is a tad newer but seems to be a great performer. Not sure as to the exact time the radio was produced and sold but seems to be from around late 70's early to mid 80's. It's as virgin as one that age can be and rock solid performer.

Reactions: whiteastro
I bet with a little amp like a RM Italy 203 behind that radio you would have much better luck. It's difficult to compete with a base station running hundreds, if not a couple thousands watts, with a barefoot mobile.
I actually had that mobile system and antenna tied into a KL-203 P for the longest time trying different stuff to get that McKinley to work until I decided the McKinley needed a total alighment. Then I put my 980 SSB in for a while and still made no DX on the antenna and then hooked up a external Dosy meter to it and got perfect SWR on the Dosy but bad on the 980 SSB internal test. Then I pulled the amp and got perfect SWR on the 980 SSB internal. Going to run a bench check on the KL-203 P before I re-install but personally I'm getting sick of the BS if you know what I mean. Radio is suppose to be fun not just 1 pissing contest after the other. Radio, antenna, & amp troubles beginning to think Who Needs IT !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.