• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Notice: You may not use this site to facilitate the unauthorized selling of copyrighted material including, but not limited to, in the public dxForums, dxGallery, dxChat and private messsages. If you get caught doing this, you will be permanently banned with no second chances. A notice will be placed on the site of why you were banned and any information collected by this site about you will be made known to the copyright holder.

Hope I didn't have a Blonde Moment

Holydvr

Nov 2, 2018
Golden Valley, AZ
I ended up with two of them. As I said I run one in the mobile, and the other is a backup. The first I traded for a Baofeng handheld. The other I found on fleabay out of Lake Havasu which is about 60 miles from me. I think it was around $60. I am happy. I also have the TRC-453 and the TRC-465. I think all three are about the last good radio Uniden made. Of course there are differences, but they are still the same for the most part.

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
Well today I decided to hook it up in my car finally to try it out and wouldn't you know the traffic on 11 meter slowed down from what it was so I accomplished nothing. It's that little black cloud that follows me around. But I did find the first flaw in the radio but it is usual, The LCD display is hard to see in the sunlight. One other thing I wanted to check out was my Stryker SR-10 antenna which has a perfect SWR but in a years time I haven't made any DX contacts with it which I blamed on the McKinley I was messing with. OH well maybe a few hours from now or tomorrow. This does get frustrating !

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
I ended up with two of them. As I said I run one in the mobile, and the other is a backup. The first I traded for a Baofeng handheld. The other I found on fleabay out of Lake Havasu which is about 60 miles from me. I think it was around $60. I am happy. I also have the TRC-453 and the TRC-465. I think all three are about the last good radio Uniden made. Of course there are differences, but they are still the same for the most part.
I just haven't heard any bad about them !

Reactions: Eldorado828

codeman

Recovering Crackerhead
Jul 10, 2011
Well today I decided to hook it up in my car finally to try it out and wouldn't you know the traffic on 11 meter slowed down from what it was so I accomplished nothing. It's that little black cloud that follows me around. But I did find the first flaw in the radio but it is usual, The LCD display is hard to see in the sunlight. One other thing I wanted to check out was my Stryker SR-10 antenna which has a perfect SWR but in a years time I haven't made any DX contacts with it which I blamed on the McKinley I was messing with. OH well maybe a few hours from now or tomorrow. This does get frustrating !

I bet with a little amp like a RM Italy 203 behind that radio you would have much better luck. It's difficult to compete with a base station running hundreds, if not a couple thousands watts, with a barefoot mobile.

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
I think all three are about the last good radio Uniden made.

I'd have to disagree a little. I just acquired an original grant that is a tad newer but seems to be a great performer. Not sure as to the exact time the radio was produced and sold but seems to be from around late 70's early to mid 80's. It's as virgin as one that age can be and rock solid performer.

Reactions: whiteastro

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
I bet with a little amp like a RM Italy 203 behind that radio you would have much better luck. It's difficult to compete with a base station running hundreds, if not a couple thousands watts, with a barefoot mobile.
I actually had that mobile system and antenna tied into a KL-203 P for the longest time trying different stuff to get that McKinley to work until I decided the McKinley needed a total alighment. Then I put my 980 SSB in for a while and still made no DX on the antenna and then hooked up a external Dosy meter to it and got perfect SWR on the Dosy but bad on the 980 SSB internal test. Then I pulled the amp and got perfect SWR on the 980 SSB internal. Going to run a bench check on the KL-203 P before I re-install but personally I'm getting sick of the BS if you know what I mean. Radio is suppose to be fun not just 1 pissing contest after the other. Radio, antenna, & amp troubles beginning to think Who Needs IT !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AudioShockwav:
  • @ kb9ghn:
    My first thought was the i.r.s. may be interested in a long term money making scam without proper taxes being paid..probably more than electronics involved.
  • @ Toll_Free:
    My first thought was why hasn't someone paid him a visit. I mean, his address is posted above.
  • @ beakster1715:
    Good news! I opened an appeal case after eBay sided with superhawkwss6. I also opened an IC3 case & sent that information to eBay. Within an hour they responded, reversed their decision and returned all of my money. Unfortunately, superhawkwss6 stole my CB radio and eBay will likely not suspend or close his account, but rather allow him to continue his criminal activity. I think I'll still file a report with our sheriff's dept (the sheriff is a friend of mine) though I know this type of crime isn't worth their time. This guy needs to be stopped and I'm certainly going to do my best to make that happen.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good Evening!