• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"HOW ABOUT IT DTB ?"

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
Need your honest opinion , weather it's a 10 meter convert or not , what would you say "bang for the buck" out of all the newer radios floating around would you say the best one was in your opinion and why ? Thanks

Switch Kit said:
Need your honest opinion , weather it's a 10 meter convert or not , what would you say "bang for the buck" out of all the newer radios floating around would you say the best one was in your opinion and why ? Thanks
Im not DTB but I like my 200 and I only paid 230 for it and a fiend of mine did the conversion. The radio has not been peaked and tuned and it still blows smoke at the stock seting!!!!! Hope this may help you a bit SK, Maybe DTB will coment on this eventually. 73s

I was certainly wondering about the Cobra 200 being pound for pound ,bang for the buck the best out there ? but there fairly new and feelings have been mixed by many.Just was looking for what a tech might think about my question ?

Well, bang for the buck has to be the Magnum 257 IF you can find one. I dont like the RX of them though....They have alot of noise. You can get a 2510 for under $200 now days....They are alot of radio for the money

I saw him out here earlier ? , so be it. Maybe it might be like asking a amp builder if what might be best bang for the buck amp , what happens then, it usually adds up to what they have most of on the shelves. Magnum 257 ....for under 200.00 but yet I personally have only ever heard not so good things about that radio over the last 4 years or so , cons weighing out the pros , but yet I have yet to even hear anyone on one in these parts.

I don't know man? do you like Big Mac, Whopper, Jumbo Jack? What was the Hardies fair? Maybe CJ had the best?

I hear you there C2 ,fair enough dude, but then again ,I personally like the Carl's Jr. 6 Dollar burgers , it shouldn't be in my face if it ain't all over the place..but then again ...that might be looked at as a dirty radio. (-:

Switch Kit said:
I was certainly wondering about the Cobra 200 being pound for pound ,bang for the buck the best out there ? but there fairly new and feelings have been mixed by many.Just was looking for what a tech might think about my question ?
yeah alot of people have not had to much luck with the radios and another guy here in town was one of them. He bought his radio from the same place I did except they did the conversion and turned the radio up. All thats been done to mine is the resistor has been moved to make it 11 meter. Anyway the other guy here in town ended up loosing TX becouse the radio was turned up to high, after having had this happen twice( the first time it was doing like 300 on SSB so they thought something was up) he still likes it and he runs it more than his kenwood :roll:

Yea, but that CJ's is about the most expensive.

Personally, I'd go for the Jumbo Jack, they were the best bang you could find out there, for just 99 cents and they were putting TWO slices of tomatoe on there.

I'm really thinkin that these things are all basically the same. The same circuit in most cases, so to me it's just a matter of what's the feature set you like and bottom dollar pricing.

I tell you what though, I put my Lincoln out on top of everything I've used, in this class anyway, but that is old school stuff. Now a days, ? I don't know.

It's the same old BS...you ask 6 people for their answer and you end up with 7 opinions.

2510 chassis radio was the best in my opinion I also like the 2950 made in the mid to late 90s but still think the 2510 chassis and layout was top notch bigger display wouldve been nice but as far as reliability it was a smokin radio they were built excellent. Most ham operators like these aswell. Everyone will take pride in the radio tey have ran that was trouble freee. But there are headaches built on every assembly line and its luck of the draw which one we get.. I was just basing my answer on what ive seen and heard on these rados. although my 2950s were great and a few otheres saidv there were only good for boat anchers. As said thers gonna be more answers and opinions than expected on this type of question..

Not sure how I missed this thread before, but for AM and SSB, my vote is definitely the 200GTL.

As for reasons, here you go:

1 is its very inexpensive.
2 is that it has a very sensitive receiver.
3 it exceptional output quality, and with a bit of modification in the mic circuit, extremely good modulation.
4 it is built to take alot of abuse on the road.
5 its amp is not an add-on, its part of the main circuit board, plus it has a good on-board LPF.

thanks for the reply DTB , from all the readings and posts over the last year or so , it's truly looking like this C-200 is a good bet for the price and performance. Very good looking as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.