• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How bad is it in your area?

i live in a small redheck town here, only a few locals that chat it up almost daily (nobody uses SSB for local talk here) , and a few truckers on 19

they all have big galaxy base stations and use CB channels and AM only, then wonder why they cant talk far, i tried to get them to use SSB but they do their own tunups with a "Golden Butterknife so their radios are loud on AM with slightly distorted modulation and when they tried SSB at my request they could not figure out the clarifier knob or they just detuned SSB so bad it wont function properly, i bet if you put their radios on an Oscope it would look terrible

i am sort of the blacksheep of the CB neighborhood around here, i have friendly chats with them sometimes but i am not part of their inner-circle, i mostly listen, i prefer to listen to shortwave & HF on a Grundig satellit 750 (i am more of a listener than a talker when it comes to radios)

if you think CB is bad you should check out Youtube for VE7KFM (Karl Madera) who is a pariah on 20 meters (14313) he lives in Vancouver Canada and has daily arguements with people and he has a a nemesis who has dedicated a website to VE7KFM(Karl Madera) with all his dirty laundry documented on it, it is really a shameful mess and would make the petty arguments you hear on CB radio sound trivial

Reactions: 1 person
There are fewer and fewer CB users in my area these days. We used to have a lot of fun on 11M, and some of us still use it for bike-to-bike communications when on a run. Ch19 is fairly active during the day, as there are many nearby interstates...but just one or two 'local' channels that see any kind of regular use. And Bozo seems to have taken up residence there in spades. I try to get newcomers off AM and onto SSB to keep 36-40 active but there seems to be a marked lack of participation these days. FWIW, a lot of the VHF/UHF amateur spectrum is fairly quiet here these days - not like it used to be 20 or so years ago.

Blame the cellphone, I guess.

Re:
if you think CB is bad you should check out Youtube for VE7KFM (Karl Madera) who is a pariah on 20 meters (14313) he lives in Vancouver Canada and has daily arguements with people and he has a a nemesis who has dedicated a website to VE7KFM(Karl Madera) with all his dirty laundry documented on it, it is really a shameful mess and would make the petty arguments you hear on CB radio sound trivial

'KFM is merely v4.0 of an ongoing 20M problem which started in the late '70s. K4MME, W1GM and assorted supporters began taking Intercon and the MMSN to task for (perceived) rules and ethics violations...and off the race went. Next up was KV4FZ and supporters against WB2OTK and sycophants, many of whom were present for the next installment: K1MAN vs the world on 275. It is here that the miscreants currently associated with 'KFM aligned themselves with him...and the mess migrated to its former frequency.

The situation won't go away with the removal of 'KFM or his direct opponents from the airwaves - they're not the main problem. Rather, all the hangers-on and jammers are responsible for the lion's share of misconduct on the frequency, and statements from the FCC's Enforcement Bureau tend to substantiate this. They are also aware of the fact that eliminating the sideline players from the game will take a bit of time and mone - and that more malcontents join the fray on a regular basis.

At least they stay on ONE frequency.

There are fewer and fewer CB users in my area these days. We used to have a lot of fun on 11M, and some of us still use it for bike-to-bike communications when on a run. Ch19 is fairly active during the day, as there are many nearby interstates...but just one or two 'local' channels that see any kind of regular use. And Bozo seems to have taken up residence there in spades. I try to get newcomers off AM and onto SSB to keep 36-40 active but there seems to be a marked lack of participation these days. FWIW, a lot of the VHF/UHF amateur spectrum is fairly quiet here these days - not like it used to be 20 or so years ago.

Blame the cellphone, I guess.

Re:

'KFM is merely v4.0 of an ongoing 20M problem which started in the late '70s. K4MME, W1GM and assorted supporters began taking Intercon and the MMSN to task for (perceived) rules and ethics violations...and off the race went. Next up was KV4FZ and supporters against WB2OTK and sycophants, many of whom were present for the next installment: K1MAN vs the world on 275. It is here that the miscreants currently associated with 'KFM aligned themselves with him...and the mess migrated to its former frequency.

The situation won't go away with the removal of 'KFM or his direct opponents from the airwaves - they're not the main problem. Rather, all the hangers-on and jammers are responsible for the lion's share of misconduct on the frequency, and statements from the FCC's Enforcement Bureau tend to substantiate this. They are also aware of the fact that eliminating the sideline players from the game will take a bit of time and mone - and that more malcontents join the fray on a regular basis.

At least they stay on ONE frequency.

(Female Voice):
Karl Madera is a fag.
he talks about men and penis in there mouth.

i heard that 500 times yesterday

Up near the radio ranch in Kingman there is a fair amount of activity. Local channel is 21 but many of us hang out on 19. Mostly older guys but we have a few youngsters as well. Not a lot of the garbage one usually gets on the CB, and that is refreshing. We have one joker who tries to key up on people but his signal is largely ineffective so it's not really an issue.

One thing I do enjoy is carrying on the nearly-extinct practice of monitoring 19 from the base and passing along traffic and weather reports . Yeah I know, everyone gets that on their phones now. No matter, I enjoy doing it and the drivers seem to appreciate it. I do a lot of radio checks and have even defused some CB 'Rambos' from time to time.

Not much SSB activity but I try to use it whenever possible.

"Set aside for administrative review" is the last I heard regarding the matter, and that particular sword cuts both ways: His license has never been officially canceled.

Set aside for what, 6 years now?

When I do turn on the CB there are the usual assortment of 24/7 (seems like) drunks and mental midgets on channel 19 talking nonstop to themselves and harassing anyone who says something to them. I hear the same ones every time I turn on the radio. Just variations of the same gruff crackly voice that sounds like one too many packs of Camel non filters and gallons of Jack Daniels.

These guys are in Grand Rapids, MI and surrounding area. I'm pretty sure MI is so broke and the state mental facilities are so jammed up that they give the mentally ill a CB radio and antenna and tell them to stay at home. Thay all migrate to one-niner good buddy!

Set aside for what, 6 years now?

The FCC is trying the attrition gambit:

Baxter cannot legally operate without a valid license so they'll tie up his application for renewal for a protracted amount of time (pending payment of fines levied, of course) and hope he'll voluntary turn his license in, as was the case with WB2OTK.

Of course, this tactic may backfire if he can show proper cause for reinstatement to an Administrative Law Judge as part of a fitness-for-license grant hearing.

Just wondering how bad you guys have it with your local's on regular 40ch. AM? I'm not talking about skip...just your local talkers at night (or day) when the skip is gone. I'm in the Rockford, IL area and most of these guys are horrible.
I realize it's C.B. radio and any jerk with $100 can set up a base station but man, most of these guys have no respect or common courtesy when talking.

This is the normal crew:

Drunks that stay keyed for over 5 minutes with nothing to say

Drunks that only look to start "on air" fights

Old burned out party animals that have the answer to everything

Guys running 100's of watts to be "above" the rest

Ones that talk like they were born on a CB that use terms like "I just got down" and "No doubt about it"

Ones that must have a permanent Superman symbol imbedded in their chest and can kick you a*s

Ones that key over other people, just to be ignorant

Ones that have a higher opinion than your's 98% of the time.

Soooooo, is it like this in your area too??

There are those types everywhere...on the radio...on the internet....stores....bars.....everywhere....you will not find any place perfect.

Just wondering how bad you guys have it with your local's on regular 40ch. AM? I'm not talking about skip...just your local talkers at night (or day) when the skip is gone. I'm in the Rockford, IL area and most of these guys are horrible.
I realize it's C.B. radio and any jerk with $100 can set up a base station but man, most of these guys have no respect or common courtesy when talking.

This is the normal crew:

Drunks that stay keyed for over 5 minutes with nothing to say

Drunks that only look to start "on air" fights

Old burned out party animals that have the answer to everything

Guys running 100's of watts to be "above" the rest

Ones that talk like they were born on a CB that use terms like "I just got down" and "No doubt about it"

Ones that must have a permanent Superman symbol imbedded in their chest and can kick you a*s

Ones that key over other people, just to be ignorant

Ones that have a higher opinion than your's 98% of the time.

Soooooo, is it like this in your area too??

Being from Rockford, IL myself I think I've got an idea of what you're talking about hahahaha...
You've GOT to be talking about "leroy" and his usual drunken antics, as well as some of the rest of the guys on ch 17... There are a few good guys around, just most of them won't talk to you if they don't know you.. :(

I can tell you that a lot of what you listed on here is why I even got my ham license in the first place.. I haven't been on the cb much in the past year and a half or so since getting my ham radio license, but occasionally I'll still fire one of them up and listen a bit (If you'd like PM me and I'll tell you my cb handle)... But each time I do I see not much has changed... "Leroy" will still be drunk on the radio starting the usual round and round arguments with the same people, and ending his escapades at 9pm on the dot... You can damn near set your watch by Leroy lol...

Trust me it's NOT like that everywhere, but at the same time you'll run across a few jerkoffs here and there no matter where you go. It just happens to be that there is a dense concentration of them here in Rockford...

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.