• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How can Firestik claim they are 5/8 wave when they have no matching system?

The same way I heard a local in Madison County Alabama claim that he has a buddy with a 2 pill base amp that kicks 600W all day long and never gets hot.

You obviously missed my post about the roof mounted mag mount A99 I have for sale that will handle 40,000 watts (albeit for a short period of time). It is only $1,000 dollars, and will put the spankin' on a Firestik. :tongue:

I take all antenna ads and marketing claims with a huge grain of salt.

RT307

Listen carefully - I'm incredibly qualified to answer this question for several reasons.

1. I'm an avid antenna designer, I know my stuff - basically speaking of course.

B. Most importantly I live in Phoenix and have been to the Firestick factory several times and have spent hours talking to the owner. Who is a hell of a nice guy and will tell you whatever you want to know.

C. I'm thinking...

Here's the official answer I got when I asked that question.

"Well, uh, what we know is they work really well and uh, there is antenna theory and there is the real world. We deal in the real world..." At that point I was shown their MFJ 259B that they use to test the antenna's with...

I shit you not.

Great guy, but may have drank a little too much of his own cool-aide.

This is another great example of a company who's entrenched in a niche, that would be very difficult to un-seat, who got to where they are by God only knows how, but you can bet your ass timing and luck (not skill - maybe outside of marketing) were huge factors.

All other answers to this question will be purely speculative.

Marketing hype. And i see nothing wrong with a little bit of hype to sell an item. In real estate its called "padding and puffering". Most homes are sold by a little bit of "padding and puffering". I guess if you don't like a little bit of hype then don't buy anything period and make all your stuff yourself......

Marketing hype. And i see nothing wrong with a little bit of hype to sell an item. In real estate its called "padding and puffering". Most homes are sold by a little bit of "padding and puffering". I guess if you don't like a little bit of hype then don't buy anything period and make all your stuff yourself......

there's a little bit of hype and then there's misrepresenting the ability of a product. Do you think it's okay to claim that an antenna that act's like a 1/4 wave should be labeled to behave like a 5/8 wave antenna? Let me phrase that differently, would it be okay in Real Estate call a single story ranch a two story (fill in a clever style here).

Aren't you the guy who builds amps? I think there are some people on mauldroppers who are still looking for their money... was that some clever marketing and puffering? Just curious... Maybe I've got the wrong guy.

Listen carefully - I'm incredibly qualified to answer this question for several reasons.

1. I'm an avid antenna designer, I know my stuff - basically speaking of course.

B. Most importantly I live in Phoenix and have been to the Firestick factory several times and have spent hours talking to the owner. Who is a hell of a nice guy and will tell you whatever you want to know.

Are you sure you don't mean that he'll tell you whatever you want to HEAR?
...:D

Reactions: 2 people
The Ultimate Guide to 11 Meter CB Antennas

"Most fiberglass whip makers are claiming their antennas are 1/2 wave, 3/8 wave, 5/8 wave and 3/4 wave antennas. That sounds very impressive. But is it electrically true? Yes, the makers of these antenna wind the respective length of wire onto the fiberglass antenna but does the radiation pattern benefit from the extra wire length as claimed? In a nutshell, no. The extra length of wire (beyond 102" inches) is coiled so closely together to be able to actually fit on a skinny fiberglass rod that it electrically ends up performing the same as the 1/4 wave antenna. There are some exagerated claims of performance from some companies."

http://www.firestik.com/Instl-Art/Firestik3.pdf

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/100792-truth-according-firestik-get-drink-snack-lol.html

Last edited by a moderator:
this message is hidden because BOOTYDEADHORSEBEATER is still on your ignore list.

was there anything in my quote that was wrong ?

john_cena_1_medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I once took a 7 foot Skip Shooter apart that was advertised as a three quarter wave to find the manufacturer did go out of their way to make the statement true. Inside they had three parallel 1/4 wave conductors wound under the heat shrink. Of course they failed to mention that the performance of the antenna was exactly what it would be had they only wound one 1/4 wave wire on the rod.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.